HARROGATE, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team took to the road to face regional rival Lincoln Memorial University on Saturday, and the home-standing Railsplitters took control of the contest early. Lincoln Memorial used a 10-0 run in the first quarter to take the advantage and didn't look back, taking the contest 90-71.
FINAL SCORE: Lincoln Memorial 90, King 71
LOCATION: Tex Turner Arena; Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-2; Lincoln Memorial 4-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Railsplitters used a 9-2 run early in the contest to take an 11-3 lead midway through the first quarter.
- Lincoln Memorial then scored 10 straight points, opening up a 21-5 lead before King closed the quarter on an 8-2 spurt.
- Whitney Mitchell capped the run to end the quarter with a jump shot with two seconds remaining, but Lincoln Memorial held a 23-13 lead after one.
- Every time King tried to make a run, the Railsplitters had an answer all day. Lincoln Memorial stretched their lead to 35-17 behind a 9-2 run and later used an 8-2 run to take their largest lead of the first half at 47-26.
- Megan Pittman scored the final basket of the first half, a triple with four seconds remaining to give Lincoln Memorial a 52-32 lead at halftime.
- The Tornado scored the first five points out of the locker room, starting with a Kristen Cupples three-point basket and followed with an Ashley Albertson layup, cutting the King deficit to 52-37.
- However, Linconl Memorial answered and earned their largest lead of the game at 72-47 with two minutes remaining in the third quarter.
- Emily Kiser made the last basket of the frame for King, cutting their deficit to 72-49 after three quarters.
- The Tornado tried to work their way back in the fourth quarter, cutting their deficit to 78-63 following a basket from Kori West, but the Railsplitters answered.
- Lincoln Memorial went on a 5-0 run, extending their lead as they went on to take the contest 90-71.
- Albertson and Mitchell led King with 13 points apiece. Albertson added 10 rebounds for her first double-double of the season.
- Sheena Johnson and Cupples chipped in with eight points apiece.
FOR THE FOES
- Pittman and Karsen Sims led Lincoln Memorial with 15 points apiece. Pittman added nine rebounds.
- Sydney Duggins added 12 points and Ross Mathis chipped in with 11 points.
- Josey Harding snared a game-high 21 rebounds.
- King opens Conference Carolinas play on Tuesday in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado host North Greenville University with tipoff scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Lincoln Memorial next hosts Carson-Newman University on Tuesday.