BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team played against Mars Hill University on Saturday afternoon. The game was close early, but right out of the half a 12-0 run led King to a 69-43 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 69 Mars Hill 43
LOCATION: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-0 Mars Hill 1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado were down 6-0 right out of the gates but a 5-0 run quickly got the Tornado going into a 18-15 lead after the first quarter.
- Midway through the second quarter, the Tornado went on a 12-0 run to take the lead 28-25. Sheena Johnson had eight points in the run, including two triples.
- Coming out of the half, the Tornado went on another 12-0 run. Jalan Harper came through with two key three point baskets in the run.
- King went on an 8-0 run in the fourth quarter that really put the game on ice. Harper again had a big hand in the run totaling 5 points, including a trifecta.
- Johnson was the top scorer for the Tornado, totaling 19 points.
- Whitney Mitchell had a solid 14 points and added seven boards. Harper chipped in with 13 points and five steals.
- King had a 42.9 shooting percentage in the game and were five-four-seven from the free throw line.
- Amy Van Deventer had four points and a game high 8 boards in the contest.
FOR THE FOES
- Paige Chavis led the way for the Lions with 13 points and had five rebounds.
- Madison Ervin was the leading rebounder for Mars Hill with seven in the contest and had eight points as well.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King's 2-0 start to the season is the first time this has occurred since becoming NCAA II members in 2011.
- King next plays on the road against Carson-Newman University on Wednesday. Tipoff from Jefferson City, Tennessee is set for 5:30.
- Mars Hill University next plays on Wednesday at home against North Greenville.