YOUNG HARRIS, Ga. – The King University softball team finished the Young Harris College Tournament with a pair of tough games against the host. The Mountain Lions took game one 10-2 before coming back with an 11-2 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Young Harris 10, King 2; Young Harris 11, King 2
LOCATION: E.D. Rivers Field
RECORDS: King 6-8; Young Harris 15-6
- Kay Brokering and Hannah Riddle each posted a double on the day, scoring one and driving in one each.
- Jenna Burnett, Erin Roper and Katelyn Davidson also record hits on the day for the Tornado.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- King loaded the bases and got on the board in the second inning. A walk and hit by pitch pushed two runs across, giving King a 2-0 lead.
- Young Harris manufactured a run in the bottom of the inning, cutting their deficit in half.
- The Mountain Lions grabbed the lead with four runs in the third inning, two coming on a home run from Jill Torres.
- Young Harris added a run on a home run in the fifth and ended the contest with four runs in the sixth inning.
- The sixth inning was highlighted by a two-run single from Emily Harris and the Mountain Lions took the contest 10-2 on an RBI-single and Tornado defensive miscue.
Winning Pitcher: Dharma Rosbrugh (8-3) 6.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (1-2) 3.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Mountain Lions struck in the first inning of game two on a two-run double from Georgia Webb that was followed by a two-run home run from Hannah Harrison to take a 4-0 lead.
- King got on the board in the fourth inning when Brokering ripped a two-out double the score Riddle who doubled earlier in the inning, cutting the Tornado deficit to 4-1.
- King got back within two in the top of the fifth when Candace Maness scored on a passed ball.
- However, the Mountain Lions followed with a two-run double from Murphy Davis in the bottom of the fifth to extend the lead.
- Haylie Shope then ended the game with a three-run home run, giving the Mountain Lions the 11-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Dharma Rosbrugh (9-3) 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Save: Louise Disi (1) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Leslie Odom (3-2) 4.2 IP, 12 H, 11 R, 11 ER, 5 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Webb went 4-for-4 in the opening game for the Mountain Lions and posted five hits and four runs batted in on the day. She also scored four runs.
- Harrison posted three hits and drove in two in game one while Shope drove in three with three hits in game two.
- The Tornado travel to take on Catawba College on Tuesday. First pitch from Salisbury, N.C. is slated for 2:00 p.m.
- Young Harris travels to Flagler College on Tuesday.