BURLINGTON, N.C. – For the first time in school history, North Greenville University is crown Conference Carolinas Softball Tournament champions. The Crusaders defeated Pfeiffer 4-0 in the championship game behind a complete game shutout from Amanda Coffrin.
FINAL SCORE: No. 3 North Greenville 4, No. 1 Pfeiffer 0
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Pfeiffer 44-6; North Greenville 35-17
- Kaitlyn Wagers led North Greenville, going 2-for-4 with two runs batted in.
- Christie Reilly and Heather Wade also recorded two hits apiece for the Crusaders.
- Makenzie Pennell led Pfeiffer, going 2-for-3.
- Coffrin tossed all seven innings in the circle for North Greenville, allowing zero runs on five hits and striking out four.
- For Pfeiffer it was Kiana Millsaps that got the start, throwing one and one-thirds innings. Sydney Poole finished the final five and two-thirds innings, allowing two runs, one earned on seven hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Megan Johnson started a two-out rally for the Crusaders in the bottom of the first inning with a walk and Kate Lee followed with a single up the middle. Wagers then gave North Greenville a 1-0 lead with a double.
- Wade lifted a sacrifice fly in the second inning, plating Reilly to give the Crusaders a 2-0 lead.
- Pfeiffer threatened in the third inning with a pair of two-out runners, but Coffrin got out of the jam.
- The Falcons recorded their first hit of the contest in the fourth inning, recording a pair of hits, but that was it.
- North Greenville tacked on a run as Wade started the inning with an infield single and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt. She later scored on a Johnson single through the right side, giving the Crusaders a 3-0 lead.
- In the sixth inning, North Greenville loaded the bases with two outs, but the Falcons got out of the jam.
- Lee reached on an error in the seventh inning and scored on a Wagers single, stretching the Crusader lead to 4-0.
- The Falcons loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh, but Coffrin induced a pop out and groundout to give North Greenville the 4-0 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- North Greenville wins their first Conference Carolinas Tournament title, earning their first NCAA Softball Championship berth.