BURLINGTON, N.C. – For the second time in as many games, top seed Pfeiffer University came back to win an extra innings game to stay alive. The Falcons trailed second seed Limestone College, but scored in the seventh to send the game to extras before scoring again in the ninth to take the game 5-4.
FINAL SCORE: No. 1 Pfeiffer 5, No. 2 Limestone 4 (F/9)
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Pfeiffer 43-5; Limestone 43-11
- Mackenzie Pennell led Pfeiffer, going 3-for-5 in the contest.
- Chandler Walker drove in a pair and scored one, going 1-for-3.
- Emma Tuttle also drove in a pair, going 1-for-4.
- Caroline Hill led Limestone with three runs batted in, going 2-for-4.
- Bailie Maybry also recorded a pair of hits, going 2-for-4 with one run batted in and one run scored.
- Kennedy Lester tossed two innings for Pfeiffer, giving up one run on zero hits.
- Caitlin Christian threw the final seven innings, allowing one run on six hits.
- Josie Weber started in the circle for the Saints and tossed three innings, giving up three runs on four hits.
- Courtney Smith finished the final five and two-thirds innings, allowing two runs on four hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Pfeiffer loaded the bases in the second inning and Tuttle came up with a clutch two-out hit, scoring two and giving Pfeiffer the 2-0 lead.
- The Limestone offense answered in the third inning, loading the bases with no outs and forcing a Pfeiffer pitching change.
- Following the change, the Falcons got an out, but Hill came up with a three-run double, lifting Limestone ahead 3-2.
- Walker started the fourth inning for Pfeiffer with a triple and later scored on a Rachel Crowder single down the right field line, evening the score at 3-3.
- Limestone regained the lead in the sixth inning on a Maybry two-out single up the middle that scored Tori Noland, giving the Saints a 4-3.
- Stephanie Fortner started the Pfeiffer half of the seventh inning with a walk and Pennell singled to put two runners on.
- Wakler came up with a clutch at bat, ripping a sacrifice fly to centerfield, scoring Fortner and evening the contest at 4-4.
- Limestone then got out of the inning, sending the game to extra innings.
- The Saints loaded the bases in the top of the ninth inning with one out, but the Falcons got a pair of outs to escape the jam.
- In the bottom of the inning, Sherrill started the inning with an infield single. Another single and walk loaded the bases before Walker lifted a fly ball to center field.
- The ball was caught, but Vada Blue Sherrill scored, giving the Falcons the 5-4 win.
- Pfeiffer takes on Erskine in another elimination game on Saturday evening.
- Limestone is eliminated.