BURLINGTON, N.C. – In elimination games, you can throw out the seeding as the eighth seed in the Conference Carolinas Tournament nearly upset and eliminated top seed Pfeiffer University. The Bobcats took the lead in the fifth inning, but the Falcons evened the tally in the sixth. The scored remained the same until Pfeiffer scored in the 10th inning to take the game 2-1.
FINAL SCORE: No. 1 Pfeiffer 2, No. 8 Lees-McRae 1 (F/10)
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Pfeiffer 42-5; Lees-McRae 15-34
- Vada Blue Sherrill scored both Pfeiffer runs, going 1-for-3 with two walks.
- Makenzie Pennell and Kiana Millsaps each drove in one run for the Falcons.
- Caitlyn Ray went 1-for-3 and drove in one run for Lees-McRae while Valerie Hickey posted two hits.
- Sydney Poole started the game in the circle for Pfeifer and lasted four innings, giving up one run on four hits.
- Caitlin Christian threw the final six innings, allowing only one hit.
- Taylor Billings went six innings, allowing two runs on one hit.
- Kara Cunningham threw the final three and two-thirds innings, allowing one run on four hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just as Lees-McRae did on Friday, they threaten early with a pair of runners in the first inning. However, the Bobcats weren't able to score.
- Billings was tough in the circle for the Bobcats, not allowing a Falcon hit for the first four and two-thirds innings.
- The Bobcats broke through in the fifth inning when Valerie Hickey started the frame with a bunt single and advanced to third on a wild pitch.
- After being sacrificed to third, Hickey scored on a Caitlyn Ray sacrifice fly, putting Lees-McRae ahead 1-0.
- Pfeiffer loaded the bases in the 7th inning with one out, but Cunningham induced a groundball back to the circle and the Bobcats turned a 1-2-3 double play to send the game to extra innings.
- Neither offense could muster anything in the eighth and ninth innings, but Pfeiffer got the sticks going in the 10th frame.
- The Falcons got a pair of runners with one out before a fielder's choice left runners on first and second with two outs, bringing Makenzie Pennell to the plate.
- She took the first pitch she saw into right field, scoring Sherrill and giving Pfeiffer the 2-1 win in 10 innings.
- Pfeiffer advances to take on second seed Limestone in another elimination game.
- Lees-McRae is eliminated.