BURLINGTON, N.C. – The second day of the Conference Carolinas Tournament started with a tight contest between second seed Limestone College and fourth seed King University. The Tornado came back to even the score in the fifth inning, but the Saints answered with three to take the contest 4-1.
FINAL SCORE: No. 2 Limestone 4, No. 4 King 1
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Limestone 43-10; King 32-19
- Macie Parker went 2-for-3 with two runs batted in to lead Limestone.
- Bailie Maybry also recorded two hits and scored one run.
- Kaycee Casteel, Olivia Lawson, Erin Roper and Summer Hayes accounted for all of King's hits, each with one.
- Michaela Morris drove in the lone run for King.
- Courtney Smith started and lasted four and two-thirds, giving up one run on four hits.
- Josie Weber earned the win, tossing two and one-thirds innings in relief without allowing a hit.
- For King, Emma Hughes threw all six innings, allowing four runs on seven hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King threatened in the top of the first inning, but Smith stranded a pair of Tornado on the base paths.
- King again had chances in the second in third innings, leaving two runners aboard each frame.
- Limestone had a pair of runners in the bottom of the first inning, but Hughes got out of the jam.
- The Saints got on the board in the fourth inning when Emma Swearingen started the inning with a double.
- She moved to third and scored on a Haley Crouch sacrifice fly, giving Limestone the 1-0 advantage.
- The Tornado but a rally together in the top of the fifth, loading the bases on a walk, hit by pitch and infield single from Hayes.
- Morris then walked on four straight pitches, forcing in a run and evening the score at 1-1.
- The Saints answered by getting their first two batters on base in the bottom of the fifth. A bunt moved them up and Caroline Hill drove in one with a single, putting the Saints back on top.
- Parker then came up with a two-out, two-run single up the middle, stretching the Saint lead to 4-1 after five.
- Weber then stymied the Tornado offense the final two innings, giving the Saints the 4-1 victory.
- Limestone advances to face the winner of Lees-McRae and Pfeiffer in another elimination game.
- King is eliminated.