BURLINGTON, N.C. – North Greenville University advanced to Saturday's semifinals with a 4-1 win over Limestone College. The Crusaders got a complete game from Brooklyn Fornter in the circle to take the victory.
FINAL SCORE: No. 3 North Greenville 4, No. 2 Limestone 1
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Limestone 42-10; North Greenville 33-17
- Megan Johnson led North Greenville, going 3-for-4 while Morgan Herlong drove in two runs on one hit.
- Celsea Rivers and Grace DeBoer registered two hits apiece.
- For Limestone, Bailie Maybry went 3-for-4 and Sam Thornton went 2-for-3 with a double and one run batted in.
- Brooklyn Fort tossed the complete game for North Greenville, allowing one run on eight hits.
- For Limestone it Josie Weber that lasted four and two-thirds innings, allowing three runs on seven hits.
- Courtney Smith went two and one-thirds innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Limestone threatened with a pair of runners in the first inning, but the Crusaders got the final two outs to end the threat.
- In the fourth inning, North Greenville put a rally together to take the lead. The Crusaders got a double and consecutive infield singles to load the bases.
- Following an out, Herlong singled to first base, scoring a pair and giving North Greenville the 2-0 lead.
- Rivers started the fifth inning with a single and was sacrificed to second before scoring on a two-out single from Johnson, extending the Crusader lead to 3-0.
- Limestone cut into the advantage in the bottom of the inning as Sam Thornton drove in Haley Crouch who singled to start the inning, cutting their deficit to 3-1.
- However, North Greenville answered in the top of the sixth inning. Wagers was hit by a pitch to start the inning before being pinch ran for.
- The pinch runner, Greer Kilman later scored on a Rivers two-out single, extending the North Greenville lead back to 4-1.
- That was all Fort needed as she finished the game, giving North Greenville the 4-1 victory.
- Limestone faces King at 12:00 p.m. in an elimination game on Saturday.
- North Greenville takes on Erskine College at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday. The winner will advance to Sunday's championship.