BURLINGTON, N.C. – Fifth seed Erskine College has the most impressive win of the Conference Carolinas Tournament on the first day, upsetting top seed and sixth-ranked Pfeiffer University 3-0. The Flying Fleet got a complete game from Sheridan Butcher in her first start of the season, leading to the win.
FINAL SCORE: No. 5 Erskine 3, No. 1 Pfeiffer 0
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Pfeiffer 41-4; Erskine 19-24
- Sydney Smith led the Flying Fleet, going 2-for-4 with two runs batted in.
- Brittany Reynolds and Reagan Davis registered two hits apiece with Davis scoring twice.
- For Pfeiffer, Stephanie Fortner and Kiana Millsaps led the way with two hits apiece.
- In her first start of the season, Butcher tossed a complete game shutout against the sixth-ranked team in the country. She only allowed seven hits and used 95 pitches.
- Sydney Poole tossed six and one-thirds innings in relief, giving one unearned run on six hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Erskine grabbed the lead in the top of the first inning as Shay Reynolds started the inning with a one-out single.
- Smith came up with the big hit, a two-run single to left field, giving Erskine the 2-0.
- The Flying Fleet then took advantage of a Pfeiffer defensive miscue in the fifth inning, extending their lead to 3-0.
- Erskine threatened again in the sixth, but couldn't push any runs across.
- However, Butcher didn't need any more runs as she only allowed a pair of hits over the final two innings to give Erskine the 3-0 upset victory.
- Pfeiffer takes on eighth seed Lees-McRae College on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. in an elimination game.
- Erskine will face the winner North Greenville University and Limestone College at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.