BURLINGTON, N.C. – The eighth seed in the Conference Carolinas Tournament, Lees-McRae advanced to Saturday with a win over sixth seeded University of Mount Olive. Mount Olive made a run late, but the Bobcats answered with three runs in the seventh to take the contest 9-3.
FINAL SCORE: No. 8 Lees-McRae 9, No. 6 Mount Olive3
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Mount Olive 25-29; Lees-McRae 15-33
- Noel Cassidy drove in three runs on one hit for Lees-McRae.
- Kara Cunningham, Sarah Tucker and Sarah Stallings recorded three hits each for the Bobcats.
- For Mount Olive it was Kristin Power, Kayla Allen, Callie Ferrell and Kelsey Hayes that registered two hits apiece.
- Taylor Billings earned the win for Lees-McRae, tossing five and one-thirds innings and allowing three runs on seven hits.
- Kara Cunningham earned the save, throwing the final one and one-thirds innings, allowing one hit.
- For Mount Olive, Karen Foley got the start and lasted three and one-thirds innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lees-McRae got the scoring started in the third inning when Valerie Hickey worked a leadoff walk. She later scored on a Cassidy groundout.
- The Bobcats added onto their lead in the fourth inning, scoring the first of three runs on a defensive miscue.
- Stallings and Cunningham then came up with back-to-back RBI singles, giving Lees-McRae a 4-0 lead.
- The Bobcats extended their lead to 6-0 following back-to-back RBI singles Tucker and Kirsten Doss.
- Mount Olive got the bats going in the sixth inning as Anna Ingram drove in Kayla Allen who started the inning with a single.
- The Trojans later got RBI doubles from Ferrell and Hayes, cutting their deficit to 6-3 going to the seventh.
- Lees-McRae answered, tallying three runs in the top of the seventh inning. Cassidy drove in a pair with a single and Emily Merriam made it a 9-3 Bobcat lead with a sacrifice fly.
- Cunningham then closed the door in the seventh, giving Lees-McRae the 9-3 win and earning her second save of the season.
- Lees-McRae will face the loser of Erskine College and Pfeiffer University on Saturday.
- Mount Olive is eliminated.