BURLINGTON, N.C. – Second seed Limestone College and seventh seed Barton College started the Conference Carolinas Softball Tournament with a tight affair. The Saints opened a 2-0 lead, but the Bulldogs scored a pair of runs with two outs to even the score in the top of the 7th. However, Limestone scored one in the bottom of the inning with two outs, taking the contest 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: No. 2 Limestone 3, No. 7 Barton 2
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Limestone 42-9; Barton24-26
- For Limestone Caroline Hill drove in a pair on one hit while Shay Reynolds went 2-for-3 with one run scored.
- For Barton, Megan Kelly went 2-for-4 from the leadoff spot.
- Kelsie Conner went 3-for-4 and drove in one while Sierra Hearp went 2-for-3.
- Courtney Smith tossed the complete game for Limestone, allowing two unearned runs on eight hits.
- For Barton it was Hannah Jones that went
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Barton threatened in each of the first three innings, leaving a pair of runners in each of the first two innings and registered two hits in the third.
- Limestone got on the board when Hill ripped a sacrifice fly, scoring Bailey Maybry.
- The Saints extended their lead to 2-0 in the fourth inning when Phillips drove in Emma Swearengen with a two-out single.
- The score remained the same until the seventh inning when Hannah Jones reached on an error with one out.
- Following an out, Kelly drove her in with a double and then scored on a Conner single, evening the score at 2-2.
- Haley Crouch started the seventh for Limestone with a single to left field.
- Following a pair of outs, Thornton extended the game with a single and Hill then drove in Reynolds with a single through the left side, giving the Saints the 3-2 win.
- Limestone takes on third seen North Greenville University later tonight.
- Barton takes on fourth seed King University in an elimination game next.