WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The King University softball team jumped out of Conference Carolinas play and came away with a sweep at Winston-Salem State University. In the twinbill, the Tornado hit five home runs, taking game one 8-2 and game two 11-3.
FINAL SCORE: King 8, Winston-Salem State 2; King 11, Winston-Salem State 3
LOCATION: Twin City Field; Winston-Salem, N.C.
RECORDS: King 29-17; Winston-Salem State 10-28
- Hannah Riddle paced the offense, belting a pair of home runs and going 4-for-8 on the day. She scored four runs and drove in seven.
- Kay Brokering also posted four hits, including a double and driving in three.
- The duo of Erin Roper and Michaela Morris also drove in three runs apiece. Roper laced her first career home run and Morris ripped her fourth of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- King scored in nearly every inning, starting in the first when Hannah Devotie started the contest with an infield single and stole second.
- Riddle later drove her in with a groundout, putting the Tornado on top.
- Roper then led off the second inning with a home run, stretching the lead to 2-0.
- The Tornado looked to put the game out of reach in the third and fourth innings, plating a combined five runs.
- Riddle drove in one with a sacrifice fly in the third and Roper later plated Kaycee Casteel with a single up the middle.
- In the fourth, Riddle laced a three-run home run, extended the Tornado advantage to 7-0.
- On the defensive side, Emma Hughes retired the first nine batters she faced and worked out of a jam in the fourth inning, keeping the Tornado ahead.
- Roper tacked on an insurance run for the Tornado in the seventh with a sacrifice fly that scored pinch runner Kelsey Nave.
- The Rams hit a pair of home runs in the seventh inning, cutting into their deficit, but Hughes got the final out to give King the 8-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Hughes (16-5) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 13 SO
Losing Pitcher: Chyna Riley (3-6) 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- King jumped ahead early in game two as well with Riddle lacing a two-run home run in the first inning.
- However, the Rams cut their deficit in half in the bottom of the inning with an RBI single from Mercedes Hargett.
- Nevertheless, King broke the contest open with five runs in the third inning.
- Brokering came up with a two-run single down the left field line and Morris laced a two-run before Summer Hayes gave King a 7-1 advantage with a run scoring single.
- Brokering drove in Riddle in the fourth inning before the Tornado added three insurance runs in the seventh inning.
- In the final stanza, Kelsie Sligh laced her first career home run while Morris drove in one with a sacrifice fly and Kaylee Rowland gave King an 11-1 lead with a single through the right side.
- The Rams scored a pair of runs in the seventh, but that was all Morgan Matthews allowed as King took the contest 11-3.
Winning Pitcher: Raven Allender (4-1) 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hargett (7-18) 4.0 IP, 12 H, 8 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Destiny Snipes posted a pair of hits and drove in one in game two for the Rams.
- Samantha Gibbs and Tiarra Delaney each recorded a pair of hits and drove in one on the day.
- King travels to take on Converse College on Thursday. First pitch from Spartanburg, S.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Winston-Salem State hosts St. Augustine's University on Saturday.