MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University softball team dropped a pair of tight Conference Carolinas contests on Sunday at the University of Mount Olive. The Trojans took game one 2-0 before scoring in the sixth inning to take game two 6-5.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 2, King 0; Mount Olive 6, King 5
LOCATION: Cassell Stadium; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 23-17, 9-5 Conference Carolinas; Barton 24-26, 12-8 Conference Carolinas
- Kaycee Casteel led the way offensively, going 4-for-7 on the day with a double. In game two she went 3-for-4.
- Hannah Devotie scored a pair of runs along with two hits on the day.
- Summer Hayes recorded three hits on the day, going 2-for-4 in game two.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- The opening contest was a pitcher's duel, with Mount Olive having the first scoring chance with a pair of runners in the first inning. However, Tornado pitcher Emma Hughes got out of the jam.
- King placed runners on second and third in the third inning, but Kylie Ward of Mount Olive got out of the inning unscathed.
- Mount Olive broke through in the third inning when Charlene Thompson ripped a leadoff double and stole third. She later scored on a Kayla Allen double, giving the Trojans a 1-0 lead.
- The Trojans added another run in the sixth inning on a double steal, taking a 2-0 lead into the seventh.
- King couldn't get the offense going as Ward sat the Tornado down in order to give Mount Olive the 2-0 win.
Winning Pitcher: Ward (8-5) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hughes (13-5) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Tornado got things going early in the nightcap as Devotie started the contest with a bunt single and Casteel followed with an infield single.
- Devotie scored on the play and Casteel later came around to score on a Kay Brokering single, putting King up 2-0.
- However, the Trojans got on the board in the bottom half as Anna Ingram drove in one with a sacrifice fly.
- That was all Mount Olive would get as Raven Allender stranded a pair of runners, giving King the 2-1 lead after one.
- Mount Olive evened the score at 2-2 in the third when and Allen single drove in one before the Trojans loaded the bases.
- Allender again got out of the jam, inducing a fly out to get King out of the inning.
- Mount Olive grabbed a 5-2 lead, scoring three runs in the fourth inning. Allen plated a pair with a double and Ingram followed with a double that scored Allen.
- Hannah Riddled tried to get the offense going with a leadoff triple in the fifth inning. She later scored on a Jennifer Kern double, pulling King within 5-3 after five.
- In the sixth inning, King plated two unearned runs to even the score at 5-5, but left a pair of runners aboard.
- It didn't take Mount Olive long to regain the lead as a two-out double from Allen scored Kelsey Hayes who started the inning with an infield single, giving Mount Olive the 6-5 lead.
- King couldn't get the offense going in the seventh inning as Mount Olive took the game 6-5.
Winning Pitcher: Karen Foley (3-9) 1.2 IP, 11 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Morgan Matthews (3-7) 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Allen went 7-for-7 on the day, going 4-for-4 in game two with four runs batted in.
- Ingram posted three hits on the day, going 2-for-3 and driving in two in game two.
- Thompson scored four runs on the day, including three in the nightcap.
- King travels to take on rival Lees-McRae College on Tuesday. First pitch from Banner Elk, N.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive hosts Barton on April 18.