WILSON, N.C. – The King University softball team split Saturday's Conference Carolinas doubleheader at Barton College. The Tornado offense led King to a 9-1 win in game one before the Bulldogs bounced back to take the nightcap 5-2.
FINAL SCORE: King 9, Barton 1; Barton 5, King 2
LOCATION: Jeffries Field; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 23-15, 9-3 Conference Carolinas; Barton 22-23, 9-9 Conference Carolinas
- Hannah Riddle paced the offense, collecting four hits, including two doubles and her sixth home run of the season.
- Danielle Parks went 3-for-6 with two runs scored on the day.
- In game one, Erin Roper and Parks both went 3-for-4.
- Along with Riddle, Kaycee Casteel registered a pair of runs batted in, both coming in the opening contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- As she has had the knack for all season, Kay Brokering drove in another two-out run in the first inning. She drove in Hannah Devotie who singled to start the inning with a single to center, giving King a 1-0 lead.
- Casteel added a pair for the Tornado with a two-out single to left field, scoring Parks and Summer Hayes in the second inning.
- Barton got on the board in the bottom of the second inning with a Samantha Satamyers that score Taylor Martin, cutting the Bulldog deficit to 3-1.
- In the third inning, King tacked on one run when Olivia Lawson was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, and Hayes drove in Jennifer Kern with a single to left center.
- The Tornado added a pair in the sixth to take a 7-1 lead, the second coming on a Roper single that score Kelsey Nave.
- Riddle put the game out of reach with a two-out, two-run home run in the seventh inning, giving King the 9-1 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (13-4) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hannah Jones (10-8) 7.0 IP, 13 H, 9 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Tornado grabbed the lead early in game two as Hayes and Lawson registered consecutive one-out hits. Following an out, Devotie drove in Hayes, giving King a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning.
- However, Barton answered with five runs on six hits in the bottom half of the inning.
- The Bulldogs took the lead on a single by Martin that scored one, and a Tornado miscue allowed another to score.
- Barton got two more run scoring singles in the frame and scored their fifth run on another King defensive miscue to take a 5-1 lead.
- The score remained the same until the seventh inning when Devotie tried to spark a rally with a leadoff single.
- Riddle came up with a double to left field, and Devotie scored on a Bulldog miscue.
- However, that was all King was able to score as Barton took the game 5-2.
Winning Pitcher: Makayla Meeks (5-6) 7.0 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Raven Allender (2-1) 6.0 IP, 11 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Megan Kelly led the way for Barton, collecting four hits, two in each contest.
- Martin accounted for two hits in game one and added a double in the nightcap.
- In game two, Taylor Bowden had two hits, including a double.
- King stays on the road to take on the University of Mount Olive on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
- Barton hosts Lees-McRae College on Sunday.