Franklin Springs, Ga. – Following a split on Friday, the King University softball team rode the hot hand of Emma Hughes to a Conference Carolinas sweep at Emmanuel College on Saturday. Hughes tossed a pair of complete games as King took game one 3-1 before winning the nightcap 6-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 1; King 6, Emmanuel 0
LOCATION: Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 17-11, 3-1 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 4-14, 2-4 Conference Carolinas
- Candace Maness led the way offensively, going 3-for-8 and scoring three runs on the day. Two hits and two runs game in game one.
- Kay Brokering broke game two open with a three-run home run in the seventh inning. She drove in four on the day and scored twice. The home run was also her fourth of the season.
- In the circle, Hughes allowed nine hits in 14 innings and struck out 12 on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Hannah Devotie got things going in the first inning with a leadoff single and advanced to second on the throw. She later scored on a Hannah Riddle single through the right side, giving King the 1-0 lead.
- However, the Lions came back to even the score on a Mary Baxter home run in the bottom half of the frame.
- The Tornado regained the advantage in the third inning when Maness came up with a one-out single. She later scored on a Brokering single to center, giving King the 2-1 lead.
- In the fifth inning, Maness manufactured a run after singling to left field and advancing to second on the throw. She then advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on another wild pitch, giving King a 3-1 lead.
- Hughes made that standup as King took the contest 3-1.
Winning Pitcher: Hughes (9-2) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Taylor Saxon (0-4) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Baxter led the way, going 1-for-3 with a home run.
- Noelle Petty and Alannah Long both registered hits in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The nightcap was a pitcher's duel early, and the Lions threated in the first inning, getting their first two runners on and moving them to second and third.
- However, Hughes got out of the jam with a strikeout and lineout to keep the game scoreless.
- The Tornado offense finally broke through in the fourth inning as Riddle started the frame with a walk and Riddle reached on an error.
- The runners moved up on a wild pitch and Kaycee Casteel dropped down a bunt that scored both runners, giving King a 2-0 lead.
- Devotie started the fifth inning with a single and came around to score on a Lion defensive miscue, giving King a 3-0.
- Brokering added three insurance runs in the seventh inning, ripping a three-run home run as King took the contest 6-0.
Winning Pitcher: Hughes (10-2) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Erin Harden (0-6) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 13 SO
FOR THE FOES
- The Lions had six players account for their six hits in the nightcap.
- In the circle, Harden struck out 13 for the Lions.
- King returns home on Wednesday to face Lee University in a nonconference tilt at 2:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel hosts Lees-McRae College on Sunday.