DUE WEST, S.C. – The King University softball team opened up Conference Carolinas play on Friday afternoon at Erskine College. The Tornado came back and took game one 5-2 behind four runs in the seventh inning before Erskine took game two 9-4 after scoring six runs in the opening frame.
FINAL SCORE: King 5, Erskine 2; Erskine 9, King 4
LOCATION: Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 15-11, 1-1 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 7-13, 1-1 Conference Carolinas
- Candace Maness led the way offensively, going 4-for-6 with a double and two runs scored on the day.
- Kay Brokering ripped a double and home run, going 4-for-8 with three runs batted in and three runs scored on the day.
- Hannah Riddle also laced a home run on the day, driving in a pair.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Erskine grabbed a 1-0 lead on a Tornado defensive miscue in the first inning, but King later cut down another run at the plate on a fly out to Riddle who threw home to get the runner at the plate.
- The score remained the same until the fourth inning when Olivia Lawson laced a double that scored Jennifer Kern who walked earlier in the inning, evening the score at 1-1.
- It didn't take the Flying Fleet long to regain the lead, plating one run in the bottom of the fifth inning. With a runner on third, Erskine dropped down a bunt that scored the run, giving the Flying Fleet the 2-1 lead.
- Erskine held the lead going to the seventh with Maness was hit by a pitch to start the frame. Riddle followed with a home run, putting the Tornado on top.
- Brokering later laced a home run and Lawson drove in Erin Roper with a double to give King a 5-2 lead heading to the bottom of the seventh.
- Tornado pitcher Emma Hughes sat down the Flying Fleet in order in the bottom of the seventh, giving King the 5-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Hughes (8-2) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Samantha Schmidt (1-7) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Brittany Rhinehardt went 2-for-4 with a run scored from the leadoff spot to lead Erskine.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- King got on the board in the first inning as Hannah Devotie and Maness recorded back-to-back singles. Riddle walked to load the bases and Brokering drove in one with a groundout.
- However, that was the only run King scored to take a 1-0 advantage.
- The Flying Fleet offense exploded for six runs in the bottom of the inning. Brittany Reynolds and Smith drove in the first two before Grimes drove in a pair with a single. Following the first inning, Erskine held a 6-1 lead.
- King threatened in the second inning, but Erskine got out of the jam, leaving the bases loaded.
- In the sixth inning, Summer Hayes drove in Brokering, who singled earlier in the inning, cutting the Tornado deficit to 6-2.
- Nevertheless, Erskine responded with three runs in the bottom of the inning, two on a Smith single to take a 9-2 lead.
- In the seventh, Brokering drove in Maness with a single and Kern plated Brokering ,but that was all King would score as the Flying Fleet took the contest 9-4.
Winning Pitcher: Morgan Matthews (3-5) 0.0 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Sheridan Butcher (1-1) 5.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Sydney Grimes went 3-for-4 and drove in two while Sydney Smith drove in three, going 3-for-4.
- Chandler Crawford also drove in a pair, going 1-for-3.
- King returns to action on Saturday when they stay on the road to face Emmanuel College. First pitch from Franklin Springs is slated for 3:00 p.m.
- Erskine hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday.