BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team pushed their winning streak to seven games, taking the opening contest over Mars Hill University 10-2. However, the Lions came back to take game two 3-1 in eight innings.
FINAL SCORE: King 10, Mars Hill 2; Mars Hill 3, King 1 (F/8)
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-9; Mars Hill 7-15
- Hannah Devotie and Jennifer Kern paced the offense, both going 4-for-7 on the day. Kern went 3-for-4 in game one while Devotie scored once and ripped a double on the day.
- Candace Maness had a solid day, going 3-for-6 with two runs scored.
- In game one, Kay Brokering went 2-for-3 and drove in three/
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Tornado pitcher Emma Hughes stranded a pair of Mars Hill runners on second and third in the top of the first inning, bringing the Tornado to bat.
- With two outs, Brokering struck with a double that scored Hannah Riddle and put King ahead.
- King stretched their lead to 2-0 in the second inning when Devotie laced a two-out double that scored Kaycee Casteel.
- The Lions came back to even the score in the fourth inning, taking advantage of a pair of Tornado miscues for two unearned runs.
- However, Hughes stranded the bases load and King regained the lead in the bottom of the frame.
- Maness rolled a single through the left side with two outs, scoring Olivia Lawson who singled early in the inning.
- The Tornado broke the contest open with three runs in the fifth inning, scoring the first run on an error and another on a double steal. Lawson gave King a 6-2 lead with a sacrifice fly that scored Casteel.
- The Tornado ended the game with four runs in the sixth inning. Brokering drove in a pair with a single to center field before Kern plated another with a single to left field. Morgan Lowe grounded into a fielder's choice, but Brokering scored, giving King the 10-2 win.
Winning Pitcher: Hughes (6-2) 6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Casey Stanek (2-5) 4.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Cassidy Dahle and Stanek led the Lions with two hits apiece, while Stanek scored once.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The night cap was a pitcher's duel between Hayley Smothers of King and Sydney Elkin of Mars Hill.
- King struck first in the second inning as Maness worked an 11 pitch walk to start the frame. Kern then singled and Maness advanced to third on a groundout.
- Lawson came up with clutch two-out hit, scoring Maness and giving King the 1-0 lead.
- The score remained the same until the fourth inning went Addison Harris started the inning with a single up the middle. She advanced to third on a Taylor Lail double and later scored on a Kaleigh Jonas sacrifice fly to even the score.
- Neither team was able to get a rally together the rest of the way, the contest went to extra innings.
- In the top of the eighth with a runner on second, the Lions bunted with their leadoff hitter and it turned into a base hit.
- Following a stolen base, a sacrifice fly scored the runner from third to give Mars Hill the lead. The throw went into the Tornado dugout, allowing the next runner to score, giving Mars Hill the 3-1 lead going to the bottom of the inning.
- King put runners on second and third with one out, but the Tornado didn't get the clutch hit as Elkin got out of the jam, giving the Lions the 3-1 win.
Winning Pitcher: Elkin (3-4) 8.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Smothers (4-4) 8.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Harris record a pair of hits and scored once to lead the Lions.
- Dahle scored one run, and Stanek drove in one.
- King is scheduled to travel to Converse College on Sunday for their first Conference Carolinas twinbill of the season. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill travels to take on Newberry College on March 18.