HARTSVILLE, S.C. – The King University softball team finished the Coker Tournament with a tough loss to Lander University. The Bearcats took a 4-0 lead, and the Tornado came back to get within one, but couldn't get even as Lander took the contest 4-3.
FINAL SCORE: Lander 4, King 3
LOCATION: Byerly Park; Hartsville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 6-8; Lander 7-8
TIME OF GAME: 1:57
King Starting Lineup
1. Danielle Parks – 2B
2. Erin Roper – CF
3. Hannah Riddle – RF
4. Michaela Morris – 3B
5. Morgan Lowe – 1B
6. Kaycee Casteel – LF
7. Kay Brokering – DP
8. Olivia Lawson – C
9. Morgan Matthews – P
Starting Pitcher: RHP Morgan Matthews
Lander Starting Lineup
1. Destiny Clyde – 2B
2. MaKenzie Smith – SS
3. Brianna Surrento – 1B
4. Madison Moore – DP
5. Logan Leverette – CF
6. Chandler Carey – C
7. Reychel Webster – LF
8. Jamie Pisel – RF
9. Casey Kent – 3B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Hannah Newton
- Hayley Smothers tossed four scoreless innings in relief, allowing four hits and striking out one.
- Hannah Riddle recorded a pair of hits, including her second home run of the season.
- Along with Riddle's home run, Michaela Morris ripped her second home run of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King put their first two runners on base to start the top of the first, and had runners on second and third, but couldn't push across any runs.
- Lander threatened in the bottom of the inning with a pair of base runners, but Matthews got out of the inning.
- However, the Bearcats grabbed the lead in the second inning as Carey started the frame with a single. Lander scored their first run on a squeeze bunt and another run scored on the throw.
- Later in the inning, Smith singled, plating another run and Surrento made it a 4-0 lead when she drove in another run with a groundout.
- Lander threatened to add to their lead in the fourth inning, but Smothers got a strike out and popout to leave the bases loaded.
- King got on the board in the sixth inning when Riddle and Morris laced back-to-back home runs to start the frame.
- Lowe started another rally with a walk following a pitching change. A fielder's choice and Brokering single, put runners on the corners.
- Pinch runner Summer Hayes tried to steal second and Casteel tried to score, but Lander cut down the run at the plate.
- Smothers followed with a single to right center, scoring Hayes and cutting the King deficit to 4-3.
- However, Lander got out of the inning and then sat the Tornado down in order in the seventh to take the contest 4-3.
FOR THE FOES
- Smith and Carey both recorded two hits in the win.
- Smith, Surrento and Kent all drove runs for the Bearcats.
Winning Pitcher: Newton (2-1) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Matthews (2-3) 2.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
- King returns home on Wednesday when they host Lincoln Memorial University. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Lander travels to Newberry College on Tuesday.