Hartsville, S.C. – Following a win over the 11th-ranked team in the country on Friday night, the King University softball team turned in two more wins on Saturday at the Coker Tournament. The Tornado started the day with a 9-0 win over West Virginia Tech before defeating Bloomsburg University 3-2 in the nightcap.
FINAL SCORE: King 9, West Virginia Tech; King 3, Bloomsburg 2
LOCATION: Byerly Park; Hartsville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 6-7; West Virginia Tech 0-7; Bloomsburg 0-2
- Kay Brokering led the way offensively, going 2-for-3 in the opening game with one run batted in.
- Erin Roper drove in a pair and went 3-for-6 on the day.
- Maness hit her first career home run, a three-run shot against West Virginia Tech.
- In the circle, Hayley Smothers tossed a complete game against West Virginia Tech and Emma Hughes allowed two unearned run on two hits in seven innings against Bloomsburg.
HOW IT HAPPENED – WEST VIRGINIA TECH
- Morris stayed hot, ripping an RBI double in the top of the first to score Hannah Riddle who walked earlier in the inning.
- West Virginia Tech threatened with a pair of two-out singles in the bottom of the inning, but Smothers got a strike out to end the inning.
- King broke the game open in the third inning as Maness ripped a three-run home run to left field, stretching the lead to 4-0.
- Riddle added another for the Tornado in the fourth inning, singling to center to score Smothers who singled to start the inning.
- The Tornado put the game out of reach in the fifth inning, plating four runs on three hits. Brokering scored one with a single and Roper drove in a pair with a double, stretching the King lead to 9-0.
- Smothers worked around a double in the fifth inning, to give King the 9-0 win and the complete game victory.
Winning Pitcher: Smothers (1-3) 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Mackenzie Wilson (0-3) 4.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- The Golden Bears got three hits, one each from Skylar Connelly, Ashley Daniels and Lexi Huck.
HOW IT HAPPENED - BLOOMSBURG
- Just as the Tornado did in the opening game of the day, they grabbed the lead in the first inning.
- Danielle Parks started the bottom of the first with a single and Erin Roper followed with a single. Parks later scored on an error to give King the lead.
- Bloomsburg took the lead in the third inning with a pair of unearned runs on a Tornado throwing error.
- Morgan Lowe pulled the Tornado even with a home run to left field in the fourth inning.
- In the sixth inning, Olivia Lawson sparked a Tornado rally with a one-out single to right field. Maness then pinch ran for her and later scored on a fielder's choice to put the Tornado ahead 3-2.
- However, the Huskies got the final two outs of the inning to leave the bases loaded.
- Hughes sat down the Huskies in order in the seventh to give King the 3-2 victory and her third straight complete game.
Winning Pitcher: Hughes (3-2) 7.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Taylor Parker (0-1) 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Emily Mayhew led the way for Bloomsburg, going 1-for-2 with one run batted in.
- Emily Getz also recorded a hit and scored a run.
- King takes on Lander University on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
- Bloomsburg takes on #11 University of Charleston and Fairmont State University on Sunday.
- West Virginia Tech will be in action again on Thursday when they travel to Bristol to take on the Tornado.