HARTSVILLE, S.C. – Facing an NCAA Division II Women's College World Series team from a season ago, the King University softball team knew they were in for a tough challenge on Friday night. Behind a solid outing from Emma Hughes in the circle, the Tornado defeated 11th-ranked University of Charleston 1-0 in the opening day of the Coker Tournament.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, #11 Charleston 0
LOCATION: Byerly Park; Hartsville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 4-7; Charleston 0-1
TIME OF GAME: 1:30
King Starting Lineup
1. Danielle Parks – 2B
2. Hannah Devotie – CF
3. Hannah Riddle – RF
4. Jennifer Kern – 3B
5. Michaela Morris – DP
6. Kaycee Casteel – LF
7. Morgan Lowe – 1B
8. Olivia Lawson – C
9. Summer Hayes - SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Emma Hughes
Charleston Starting Lineup
1. Rachelle Toppings – CF
2. Karli Pinkerton – 3B
3. Laura Ashlock – 1B
4. Bethan Williams – C
5. Haleigh Christopher – DP
6. Shelby Ume – RF
7. Alyssa Stanley – LF
8. Siarra Harrington – 2B
9. Logan Walkosz – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Alli Burdette
- Hughes tossed her second complete game in as many starts, earning her first shutout. She only allowed four hits and struck out four in seven innings.
- Morris paced the offense going 3-for-3 at the plate with pinch runner Candace Maness scoring the lone run.
- Lowe went 1-for-2 with a walk and drove in the game-winning run with two outs in the fourth inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King threatened to score in the second inning with a Morris double and Lowe walk, but Burdette got out of the jam with a strike out.
- The Golden Eagles looked to use that momentum in the third inning as their first two batters reached base.
- However, it looked as though King would get out of the inning unscathed as they Tornado turned a double play.
- Charleston then loaded the bases with a hit by pitch and walk, but Hughes induced a flyout to get out of the inning and leave the bases loaded.
- Morris started a rally in the fourth inning with a single and Maness pinch ran for her and stole second. Following an out that moved her to third, Lowe single to left field, giving King the 1-0 lead.
- From there, Hughes only allowed one base runner over the next two innings.
- The Golden Eagles got their leadoff hitter on base in the seventh and sacrificed her to second, but Hughes got a strike out and lineout to end the game, giving King the 1-0 win.
FOR THE FOES
- Williams led the way for the Golden Eagles with two hits in the contest.
Winning Pitcher: Eichhorn (2-2) 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Boyd (0-1) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win is King's third victory over an NCAA ranked team in program history. The last two came in February of 2014 when they defeated No. 25 Columbus State University 2-0 and No. 23 Kutztown University 5-2.
- King takes on West Virginia Tech at 5:00 p.m. and Bloomsburg University at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Charleston squares off with Lincoln Memorial University and Coker College on Saturday.