GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The King University softball team faced off against Tusculum College on Wednesday afternoon. The Tornado won 4-1 in game one and fell 8-2 to the Pioneers in game two.
FINAL SCORE: King 4, Tusculum 1; Tusculum 8, King 2
LOCATION: J.C. Red Edmonds Field; Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 3-7; Tusculum 10-6
- Hannah Riddle was 3-for-8 with two runs batted in, a run scored, stolen base, and a solo home run.
- Michaela Morris went 4-8 on the day with an RBI.
- Becca Gold was 3-for-4 in game two with an RBI single.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- All of King's four runs in game one were scored with two outs.
- The first of these runs came in the opening inning when Danielle Parks got hit by a pitch, stole second, and was then driven in by Morris on a single to center taking the lead 1-0.
- The Tornado added another run in the top of the second to make the score 2-0 when Kelsie Sligh pinch hit for Emma Hughes and doubled to left center, driving in Kaycee Casteel who had singled to right field to start the inning.
- Tusculum edged closer 2-1 with a run in the bottom of the second inning when Robin Stone reached on a throwing error, scoring Taylor Johnson who had singled down the right field line earlier in the inning.
- Another King run in the top of the third inning made the score 3-1 when Parks started the inning with a single to right and later scored on a Jennifer Kern single to shortstop.
- In the top of the sixth inning Riddle drove Hannah Devotie who had singled to left field earlier in the inning to make the score 4-1 and the Tornado held the Pioneers the last two innings to take the contest 4-1.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (1-2) 7.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Cayla Cecil (4-3) 7.0 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King again scored a run in the top of the first when Riddel hit a lead-off home run down the right field line to take the early lead 1-0.
- The Pioneers struck back with a four spot in the bottom of the second, highlighted by two wild pitches that enabled Bailey Cutlet and Jenna Restivot to score. A suicide squeeze and an RBI single by Emily Hester, made the score 4-1.
- Another four run inning by Tusculum made the score 8-1 which occurred in the bottom of the fourth. Bailey Culler had the big hit in this inning with a double to left field, scoring Taylor Johnson and Treslyn Reese who both had RBI singles earlier in the inning.
- The Tornado added their final run it the top of the fifth when Gold singled to right center, scoring Kelsie Sligh who had walked earlier in the inning, making the score 8-2. King was held scoreless the last two innings and fell 8-2 in game two.
Winning Pitcher: Morgan Matthews (2-2) 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Taylor Plemons (5-3) 7.0 IP, 10 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Emily Hester was 3-for-4 in the two games with a double, three walks, and an RBI.
- Bailey Culler went 3-for-5 in the double header with a run scored, and a two-run double.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Freshmen pitcher Emma Hughes threw her first complete game, allowing only four hits and one unearned run, striking out five batters.
- King is in action again on Friday when they travel to face the University of Charleston on a neutral site. First pitch from Hartsville, S.C. is set for 5:00 pm.
- Tusculum stays at home to play Francis Marion University on Saturday.