BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team played UVa-Wise in a doubleheader on Friday afternoon. The Tornado rallied in the fifth and sixth innings to take the contest 6-3 in game one, and won the second game 4-3, all runs coming in the third inning.
FINAL SCORE: King 6, UVa-Wise 3; King 4, UVa-Wise 3
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-6; UVa-Wise 3-5
- Hannah Riddle was 1-for-3 in the double-header with three runs batted in, including a three-run triple, had three walks, two stolen bases and scored one run.
- Erin Roper was 1-for-3 on the afternoon with two runs batted in, including a two-run triple, and scored one run.
- Jennifer Kern was 2-for-4 in the two games with a walk and run scored.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The game was scoreless until Uva-Wise scored two runs in the third inning highlighted by Samantha Ely's two-run single, scoring Ava Hickey and Zoe Millard.
- The Tornado were down 3-0 heading into the fifth inning when Kern started a rally by walking to lead-off the inning. Morgan Lowe later knocked in Lauren Rowsey on a RBI singled up the middle, who had pinch ran for Kern. Riddle later hit a bases-clearing triple to left center scoring Hannah Devotie who had singled earlier in the inning, Danielle Parks who had walked previously in the inning, and Erin Roper who pinch ran for Lowe making the score 4-3.
- King added two more runs in the bottom of the sixth when Kern scored on a wild pitch, who had doubled to left center to start the inning. Parks then got hit by a pitch, stole second and scored on a throwing error by the catcher further extending the lead 6-3 and shut the Cavaliers down in the seventh to earn the victory 6-3.
Winning Pitcher: Morgan Matthews (1-1) 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Save: Haley Smothers (1) 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Taylor Brandts (1-3) 5.0 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 4 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cavaliers struck in the top of the first on an Alexa Hernandez double to left center that scored Zoe Miller who had singled to start the game, taking the 1-0 lead.
- The Tornado struck back with a four run bottom of the third when Riddle walked to start the inning who later stole second. Lowe later reached on a fielder's choice and advanced to second on a throwing error by the second basemen scoring Riddle. Olivia Lawson then singled to third base, advancing Lowe to third. Candace Maness then singled to third scoring Lowe. Roper followed with a big two-run triple, scoring Maness and Lawson.
- UVa-Wise cut into the lead with a two run inning highlighted by Bridget Henzel's two-run single to center field scoring Shannon Bennett who was hit by a pitch earlier in the inning and Zoe Millard who singled down the left field line to start the inning but the Tornado held down the Cavaliers the last two innings to take game two 4-3.
Winning Pitcher: Matthews (2-1) 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
Save: Smothers (2) 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Raychel Lapallo (2-2) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Alexa Hernandez was 2-for-6 on the day with two walks, two doubles, and a RBI.
- Shannon Bennett was 3-for-7 on the afternoon with a run scored.
- King is in action again on Tuesday when they travel to play Tusculum College. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 pm.
- UVa-Wise next plays on Sunday when they host Lees-McRae College.