BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team faced off in a double-header against Carson-Newman University on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado fell 8-2 in game one and 2-0 in a pitching duel game two.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 8, King 2; Carson-Newman 2, King 0
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-4; Carson-Newman 6-2
- Danielle Parks went 2-4 in game one with two singles
- Hannah Riddle was 1-2 with two walks and a run scored in game one, in game two she went 1-3 with a single.
- Morgan Lowe went 1-2 with a single and a walk in game one.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado fell behind Carson-Newman 3-0 in after the top of the first but struck back when Riddle hit a single and a misplayed ground ball by the centerfielder Rinus allowed her to score to make the score 3-1 after one.
- The Eagles scored two in the top of the fifth inning when Abby Fiessinger hit a two run homer, scoring Alli Webster who had singled to lead off the inning to extend the lead to 6-1
- King struck back with a run in the bottom of the fifth when Kaycee Casteel singled to start the inning, later scoring on a Hayley Smothers RBI Sac Fly.
- Carson-Newman tacked on two more runs in the top of the seventh to take the contest 8-2.
Winning Pitcher: Allison Webster (3-1) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 9 SO
Losing Pitcher: Haley Smothers (0-2) 7.0 IP, 15 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 4 BB, 3 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The game was scoreless until the top of the third when the Eagles Karylynne Lev drove in two runs with a single to center field, scoring Abby Fiessinger and Janelle Benzick to make the score 2-0 Carson-Newman.
- The Tornado had an opportunity in the bottom of the second to break through when Riddle popped up to third with the bases loaded, stranding three base runners.
- Carson-Newman's pitcher Lacie Rinus didn't allow another baserunner after the bottom of the third, leading to a 2-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Rinus (3-1) 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emman Hughes (0-2) 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Abby Fiessinger went 3-6 on the day with three runs batted in, scored 4 runs, walked twice, and hit two home runs.
- Levi was 5-9 on the day with a double, a run scored, and three runs batted in.
- King is in action again on Wednesday when they travel to play the University of Queens. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 pm.
- Carson-Newman University next plays on Wednesday when they host Virginia-Wise.