BRISTOL, Tenn. – Facing one of the top teams in Conference Carolinas, the King University softball team earned a split with Limestone College on Friday afternoon. The Tornado took game one 4-1 behind a complete game pitching effort from Hayley Smothers before the Saints came back to take game two 7-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 4, Limestone 1; Limestone 7, King 0
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 15-25, 9-9 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 26-13, 13-4 Conference Carolinas
- Hannah Smith went 2-for-3 and drove in two in game one to lead the Tornado game one.
- Jennifer Kern also went 2-for-3 while Hannah Devotie went 3-for-4 as they each scored one run.
- In game two, Amber Walker led the way, going 2-for-3 with a double.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Smothers was the story of game one, only needing 89 pitches to toss the complete game. She struck out three and only allowed one run on six hits.
- Offensively, the Tornado started the scoring in the bottom of the first inning as Kern ripped a leadoff double. She later scored on a two-out single from Smith to give King the lead.
- The Tornado threatened again in the third inning when they loaded the bases, but the Saints got out of the jam to keep the game at 1-0.
- Devotie and Olivia Lawson started a two-out rally in the fifth inning with back-to-back singles before a base hit from Smith scored Lawson. Morgan Lowe followed with a single, scoring Devotie and giving King a 3-1 lead after five.
- Lawson tacked on an insurance run for the Tornado in the sixth inning when she was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, forcing in a run. King had a chance for more, but they left the bases loaded in the frame as Limestone got the next out.
- Limestone got on the board in the seventh inning, but the run crossed the plate as the final out was made, making the final score 4-1 in favor of King.
Winning Pitcher: Smothers (9-11) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Courtney Smith (7-4) 5.2 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Pitching was the story of game two as well, but this time it was Josie Weber of Limestone. She tossed the complete game, giving up only five hits and striking out seven.
- The Saint offense got on the board in the second inning when Klinnin Carson drove in Erika Hansen, who singled to start the inning.
- Bailie Mabry made it a 2-0 Limestone lead later in the inning with an infield single that scored Tori Noland.
- In the third inning, Noland drove in one with a double before Carson ripped a two-run double, giving Limestone a 5-0 lead.
- The Saints added two more runs in the seventh inning on an Emma Swearingen single and another on a Haley Crouch pinch-hit infield single, stretching the Saint advantage to 7-0.
- The Tornado offense couldn't get a rally going off Weber as the Saints took the contest 7-0.
Winning Pitcher: Weber (13-4) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Lauren Smith (5-8) 3.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Noland and Carson registered two hits each in the opening game for the Saints.
- Carson then add two hits and three runs batted in in the nightcap.
- Noland also posted two hits in game two, scoring twice and driving in one.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they host Barton College at 1:00 p.m. Saturday is also Senior Day for the Tornado.
- The Saints are in action again on Sunday when they travel to take on Mars Hill University.