BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball rebounded for another Conference Carolinas split on Thursday afternoon when they hosted Emmanuel College. The Lions took game one of the doubleheader 3-2 before the Tornado offense erupted for 18 runs in game two, taking the contest 18-0.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 3, King 2; King 18, Emmanuel 0
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-18, 5-3 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 21-16, 6-5 Conference Carolinas
- Jennifer Kern had a big day for the Tornado, collecting five hits on the day, three in the first game. In the nightcap she nearly hit for the cycling, coming a home run short, driving in five and scoring twice.
- Hannah Smith ripped her fifth home run of the season in game one and drove in four on three hits and scored three runs in the contest.
- Kay Brokering drove in three with a double in game two.
- In the circle, Hayley Smothers tossed her ninth complete game of the season and her fourth shutout in game two. In the contest she only needed 44 pitches and struck out two.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The opening game was a pitcher's duel, and the Lions had the first opportunity to score in the third inning, getting a pair of runners in the frame. However, Morgan Lowe got out of the jam.
- King responded with a rally in the bottom of the inning as Hannah Devotie started a two-out rally with a single through the left side. The Tornado loaded the bases in the frame, and Devotie later scored when Smith was hit by a pitch to give King the lead.
- However, the Lions go the next out, stranding the bases loaded.
- Emmanuel grabbed the lead with two runs on a Kirsten Hill single down the left field line in the fifth inning.
- The Lions added another on a fielder's choice from Kara Hembree in the sixth that scored Jorden Williams, giving Emmanuel a 3-1 lead.
- Smith pulled King back within one when she ripped a home run to left field to lead off the sixth inning.
- The score remained 3-2 in the bottom of the seventh inning when the Devotie again started a two-out rally with a single. Kern followed with a single and Olivia Lawson was hit by a pitch to load the bases.
- However, Erin Harden, the Emmanuel pitcher got a pop out to end the threat and give Emmanuel the 3-2 win.
Winning Pitcher: Harden (14-5) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 10 SO
Losing Pitcher: Lowe (1-5) 4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King didn't waste any time getting on the board in the nightcap, plating three runs in the first inning. Smith and Lawson both drove in runs for the Tornado in the inning.
- The Tornado then tacked on five runs in the second inning, two coming on a Smith single to through the left side, giving King an 8-0 lead.
- In the third, King broke the game open with 10 runs. Brokering drove in three with a double and through the left side and Kern later tripled, scoring three to highlight the inning for King.
- In the circle, Smothers only allowed one hit in five innings, and only need 44 pitches to give King the 18-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Smothers (6-8) 7.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Madison Hopper (1-2) 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Hill recorded a pair of hits and drove in a pair to lead the Lions in game one.
- Halle Cheek also went 2-for-2 with one run scored in the opening game.
- King returns to the diamond on Friday when they host Erskine College at 2:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel hosts Converse College on Thursday.