BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team hung with one of the best teams in the country on Thursday afternoon when they took on Lenoir-Rhyne University. The Bears used a big inning to top the Tornado 9-1 in game one before Lenoir-Rhyne won game two 5-0 behind a stellar pitching performance.
FINAL SCORE: Lenoir-Rhyne 9, King 1; Lenoir-Rhyne 5, King 0
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-17; Lenoir-Rhyne 21-7
- Morgan Lowe and Diamond Callwood both posted two hits in game one to lead the Tornado offense.
- Hannah Smith recorded one hit in each game for two on the day.
- Olivia Lawson ripped her third home run of the season in game one for the Tornado.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- It didn't take the Bears long to get on the board as Mackenzie Cates ripped a double to left center that scored Erin Boone in the top of the first inning.
- King threatened with a pair of runners in the bottom of the first inning, but couldn't push any runs across.
- In the second, Lenoir-Rhyne added another run on three hits as Boone drove in Sarah Kenley who singled to start the inning.
- Again King got a pair of runners, but couldn't score any runs.
- Lawson got King on the board in the third inning when Lawson laced a home run to left field, cutting the Tornado deficit to 2-1 after three.
- In the fourth inning, King looked to take the lead, loading the bases with no outs. However, Bear pitcher Brandi Hole came in and induced a pair of groundouts to cut down runs at the plate, before getting another groundout to end the threat.
- Lenoir-Rhyne then put the game out of reach with six runs in the fifth inning. Madison Carter ripped a two-run double and Dakota Keller drove in a pair with a home run down the left field line.
- The Bears added another on a Cates sacrifice fly as they took the contest 9-1.
Winning Pitcher: Emily Kenley (3-2) 3.0 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Lauren Smith (3-5) 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Boone again started a rally in the first inning, ripping a leadoff double before scoring on a triple from the next batter, Christina Walker to put the Bears on top.
- Cates stretched the lead to 2-0 following a Cates home run in the third inning and took a 3-0 lead after Carter drove in Boone with a single in the fifth.
- King hung around, but Brandi Parks threw well in the circle for Lenoir-Rhyne, only allowing two hits in seven innings of work.
- Hannah Smith recorded King's first hit, a double in the fourth inning. Jennifer Kern registered the other hit for King in the sixth inning, another double, but the Tornado were not able to score in either frame.
- Cates ripped her second home run of the game in the seventh inning, a two run shot that gave Lenoir-Rhyne the 5-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Parks (5-0) 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 9 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hayley Smothers (5-8) 7.0 IP, 13 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Boone posted five hits from the leadoff spot for the Bears, going 3-for-3 with three runs scored in game one before going 2-for-4 with two runs scored in game two.
- Cates went 2-for-4 with three runs batted in in game one and followed it with two home runs, three runs batted in while going 2-for-3 in game two.
- King is scheduled to be in action again on Saturday when they host Limestone College. First pitch is slated for 2:00 p.m.
- Lenoir-Rhyne travels to take on Tusculum on Saturday.