MISENHEIMER, N.C. – The King University softball team competing at Pfeiffer University in a Conference Carolinas double-header Tuesday afternoon. The Tornado split with the Falcons after falling in game one 12-2 and then bouncing back to take a 2-0 victory in game two. Hannah Smith batted in two runs to give King the win, backed up by the Tornado defense, led by Hayley Smothers on the mound with the shutout.
FINAL SCORE: Pfeiffer 12, King 2; King 2, Pfeiffer 0
LOCATION: Misenheimer, N.C.
RECORDS: King 9-15, 4-1 CC; Pfeiffer 18-12, 4-2 CC
- Smith recorded three runs batted in on the day, with two hits. Smith also posted her fourth homerun of the season.
- Taking the win in game two Smothers recorded her third shutout of the season for the Tornado. Smothers only allowed two hits in all seven innings and recorded five strikeouts.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Starting out strong for the Tornado, Jennifer Kern doubled to left center and Alliyah Sands would follow with a single up the middle that would score Kern grabbing King a 1-0 that they would hold through two.
- Pfeiffer caught fire in the third inning fueled by a three-run home run, followed by a three-run double, and topped off by a couple unearned runs to end the third inning up 8-1.
- Leading off for the Tornado in the fourth inning, Smith ripped a home run over the left field fence but the Tornado were unable to gain momentum ending the at bat trailing 8-2.
- The Falcons went on to score four more runs in the fourth to take a 12-2 lead going into the fifth inning.
- The Tornado were unable to post a hit in the fifth inning, recording total of only five hits in the game, allowing Pfeiffer to take the 12-2 victory in five innings
Winning Pitcher: Lester (8-7) 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Smith (3-4) 2.1 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Smith got the Tornado on the board in the third inning after singling up the middle to score Kaycee Casteel who earlier singled to second base and Hannah Devotie who earlier singled off a bunt.
- Pfeiffer would retire the third inning with two King players left on base as the Tornado now held a 2-0 advantage.
- Defense from both teams would dictate the remainder of the game as each team only posted one hit for the final four innings.
- Smothers did not allow a hit in the final three innings securing King's 2-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Smothers (5-7) 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Poole (3-1) 3.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Anna Lauren Brafford led the Falcons with four runs batted in going 2-for-3 in game one.
- Kiana Milisaps went 2-for-3 for Pfeiffer, and scored two runs.
- Rachel Crowder recorded a three-run homerun.
- Kennedy Lester received the win for the Falcons and allowed only five hits.
- The Tornado return home to take on Lenoir Rhyne University in a non-conference double-header Thursday at 2:00 p.m.
- Pfeiffer travels to North Greenville for a Conference Carolinas double-header Saturday.