BELMONT, N.C. – The King University softball team traveled to take on Belmont Abbey College in their first Conference Carolinas road series. The Tornado ended the day 1-for-1 as the fell in game one 5-4 and took game two 3-0. King was unable to top the Crusaders with a chance to take the lead in the sixth inning in game one but Hayley Smothers was able to shutout the Crusaders in game two.
FINAL SCORE: Belmont Abbey 5, King 4; King 3, Belmont Abbey 0
RECORDS: King 8-14, 3-1 CC; Belmont Abbey 6-16, 1-3 CC
- Hannah Devotie went 3-for-6 for the day, tallying one run batted in, and a stolen base.
- Alliyah Sands drove in a couple runs for the Tornado, posting a double in game one.
- Amber Walker went 2-for-3 in game two, hitting two doubles for King.
- On the mound for the Tornado with the win was Smothers who held Belmont Abbey to no more than one hit in each inning in game two.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Belmont Abbey jumped on the board first on a double to right field that scored one run in the first inning.
- King answered in the third as Sands doubled to center field scoring Jennifer Kern and Olivia Lawson, who had doubled down the left field line earlier in the inning, giving the Tornado a 2-1 lead.
- The Crusaders rallied back in the bottom on the third to regain the lead on a couple doubles racking in three runs in the inning taking a 4-2 advantage.
- Defense of both side held the other without a hit in the fourth and Belmont Abbey tallied another run in the fifth of a one run home run.
- The Tornado fought to take the lead in the sixth as they took advantage of a couple Crusader errors to score one run and a Hannah Devotie single to center field scored another trailing 5-4 but then ended the inning with two left on base.
- Belmont Abbey was able to hold the Tornado in the seventh without a hit, taking the victory 5-4.
Winning Pitcher: Jacobs (3-5) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 11 SO
Losing Pitcher: Smith (3-4) 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado were the first on the board as Smothers singled to right center driving in Walker who had earlier doubled to left field and King would end the second inning with the bases loaded, up 1-0.
- The King defense did not allow Belmont Abbey more than one hit in each of the first two innings.
- In the top of the fourth King tallied two more runs when Jennifer Kern doubled down the left field line scoring Devotie who had earlier stole second base and Hannah Smith would follow with a single to right field that would score Kern, now with a 3-0 advantage in the fourth.
- The relentless Tornado defense held the Crusaders to a total of three hits in the final four innings, led by Smothers on the mound, taking a 3-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Smothers (4-7) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Williams (1-4) 5.0 IP, 11 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Sloane McPeak went 4-for-6 for the day, including a home run, a double, and two RBI.
- Dani Marietta went 2-for-3 in game one, tallying two runs batted in.
- Samantha Jacobs grabbed the win for Belmont Abbey in game one recording 11 strikeouts.
- The Tornado travel next to Misenheimer N.C. to take on Pfeiffer University in a Conference Carolinas double-header on Tuesday at 1:00 p.m.
- Belmont Abbey will be on the road Tuesday at Lenoir-Rhyne University.