WISE, Va. – The King University softball team came away with a tough split at UVa-Wise on Thursday afternoon. The Cavaliers took a walk-off win, 4-3 in the bottom of the seventh inning in game one before the King offense put up 12 runs in game two. The Tornado took the nightcap 12-8 to salvage the split.
FINAL SCORE: UVa-Wise 4, King 3; King 12, UVa-Wise 8
LOCATION: Cavalier Field; Wise, Va.
RECORDS: King 7-13; UVa-Wise 9-8
- Hannah Smith posted seven hits on the day, going 5-for-5 in game two where she scored three times and drove in three runs. In game two, Smith hit two home runs for the Tornado.
- Olivia Lawson drove in five, going 3-for-5 with a home run in game two after collecting one hit in game one.
- Jennifer Kern hit home runs in each game while Morgan Lowe and Kaycee Casteel both went yard in game one.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Kern laced her first home run in the first inning of game one, putting King ahead 1-0 after one.
- Lowe then laced a home run to lead off the second inning, giving King a 2-0 lead.
- Alexa Hernandez cut the UVa-Wise deficit in half with a home run to lead off the bottom of the fourth inning.
- The first batter of the inning again placed a shot over the fence in the top of the fifth went Casteel laced her first career home run, stretching the King lead back to two at 3-1.
- The Cavaliers added another one in the bottom of the fifth on a Monica Brandts home run.
- With two runners on, Shannon Bennett ripped a double that scored one in the bottom of the sixth, evening the tally at 3-3. However, Tornado pitcher Hayley Smothers stranded a pair of runners to keep the game tied.
- With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Hernandez laced another home run, this one giving the Cavaliers the 4-3 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Brandts (3-2) 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Smothers (3-7) 6.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- In the first inning of game two, Kern tried to get the offense going again with another home run that put King on top. Later in the inning, Smith laced her first of the day, a two-run shot, giving King a 3-0 lead.
- Lowe worked a clean bottom of the first, bringing King back to the plate where they scored five runs in the top of the second.
- Lawson laced a three-run home run to right field, and Smith followed with her second home run of the day, putting King ahead 8-0 after two innings.
- The Cavaliers made a comeback in the third inning, tallying six runs on five hits. Erika McLaughlin drove in two with a single and Taylor Brandts later ripped a grand slam, pulling the Cavaliers within 8-6 after three.
- King answered with two runs in the fourth, one on a Lowe single and another on an error, stretching their lead back to four runs.
- After UVa-Wise tallied one in the fifth, Lawson laced at two-run double in the fifth, giving King a 12-7 advantage.
- The Cavaliers added one on a Bennett single in the bottom of the fifth, but that was all they would get as Lauren Smith finished the game, giving King the 12-8 win.
Winning Pitcher: Smith (3-3) 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emily Kale (3-5) 1.2 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Hernandez posted four hits and drove in four for the Cavaliers.
- Monica Brandts and Taylor Brandts both hit home runs on the day with Taylor Brandts ripping a grand slam in game two.
- Samantha Ely posted three hits in three at bats in game two.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play with a doubleheader at Belmont Abbey College on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. King then face Pfeiffer University on Sunday at 2:00 p.m.
- The Cavaliers travel to play in the West Virginia Wesleyan Tournament where they face Indiana University of Pennsylvania and Seton Hill University on Saturday.