BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team capped an undefeated weekend with a pair of wins over Converse College to open Conference Carolinas play. Morgan Lowe led the Tornado offense, ripping three home runs on the day, including a pair in the nightcap as the Tornado took the sweep 3-0 and 11-2.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Converse 0; King 11, Converse 2
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-10, 2-0 Conference Carolinas; Converse 4-12, 0-2 Conference Carolinas
- Lowe laced three home runs on the day, the first three of her career. The first came to leadoff the fifth in the first game and two more in the nightcap, both two-run shots in the third and fourth innings.
- Diamond Callwood also went yard, lacing her first career home run in the second game.
- Alliyah Sands went 3-for-3 with two runs batted in and two runs scored in game two.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Game one was a pitcher's duel between Hayley Smothers and Marissa Steadman as there were only 11 total hits in the contest.
- King got on the board with a pair of unearned runs in the third inning. The Tornado added another in the fifth when Lowe ripped her first home run of the day.
- Those three runs were enough for Smothers as she tossed all seven innings, scattering six hits and struck out five.
- Hannah Devotie and Hannah Smith both registered two hits in the game, and Lowe scored twice.
Winning Pitcher: Smothers (3-5) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Steadman (4-8) 6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Devotie started the second game with a single and stole second before scoring a Smith sacrifice fly, putting King on top.
- Converse evened the score in the third with an infield single, but the Tornado answered in the bottom of the frame.
- Sands scored one with an infield single and Lowe followed with a two-run home run, giving King a 5-1 lead after three.
- The Valkyries added one in the fourth inning, but Lowe stranded the bases loaded to keep King in the lead.
- King put the game out of reach in the fourth, scoring six runs. Smith laced a three-run double to right center before Sands drove her in with a single to left center.
- Lowe then laced her third home run of the day, giving King an 11-2 advantage.
- Lowe worked around a leadoff double to give King the 11-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: L. Smith (2-3) 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Steadman (4-9) 2.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Anna Bennett ripped two hits in game two while Bri Putnam and Tristan Harvey both recorded two hits in game one.
- Maddison Lukens and Putnam scored runs in the first game while Bennett and Morgan Marlow drove them in.
- King is in action again on Wednesday when they travel to take on Lincoln Memorial University. First pitch from Harrogate is slated for 4:00 p.m.
- Converse hosts Montreat on Saturday.