CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The King University softball team swept Johnson C. Smith University in a doubleheader Saturday afternoon in Charlotte. The Tornado posted consecutive doubles in each game to fuel the offense past the Golden Bulls to record two wins on the day.
FINAL SCORE: King 7, Johnson C. Smith 4; King 7, Johnson C. Smith 4
LOCATION: Biddleville Park; Charlotte, N.C.
RECORDS: King 3-10; Johnson C. Smith 1-4
- Hannah Smith went 5-for-8 on the day recording three doubles and a couple runs batted in.
- Olivia Lawson went 4-for-6 for the Tornado, including a couple doubles.
- Hayley Smothers lead King with four runs batted in, including a home run.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Each team held the other scoreless for the first two innings before King would jump on the board in the third.
- Alliyah Sands doubled to left field in the top of the third inning scoring Kaycee Casteel would earlier singled off a bunt to start the inning.
- Johnson C. Smith answered in the third inning with two runs on one hit, taking a 2-1 lead over the Tornado through three.
- In the fifth inning Sands ripped a double to center field scoring the tying run in Diamond Callwood who earlier singled to through the left side.
- Hannah Smith followed up with a double herself scoring Sands and advancing to third off a throwing error, giving King a 3-2 advantage they would hold through five innings.
- Smothers sent one over the left center fence in the sixth inning that scored two runs for the Tornado.
- Casteel added another for the Tornado after posting a single through the left side, stealing second and third, and scored on a ground out to short stop with King now leading 6-2
- Chipping in one last run for the Tornado was Lauren Rowsey who was sent in by Walker who singled to left center.
- The Golden Bulls closed out the game with a couple runs but was halted by Lauren Smith who would strike out the final batter swinging.
Winning Pitcher: Smith (1-3) 4.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
Losing Pitcher: Lopez (0-3) 7.0 IP, 14 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King would jump on the board in the first inning as Hannah Devotie scored on ground out after earlier singling to shortstop and stole second.
- In the second inning Morgan Lowe singled to right center scoring Olivia Lawson, who earlier singled through the right side, giving King a 2-0 lead through two.
- Smith would send in Devotie in the third off a single up the middle, following her was Lawson with a double to left center.
- Smothers followed with a two run double to right center scoring Lawson and Smith, as King would now hold a 5-0 advantage through six.
- Johnson C. Smith would get on the board in the bottom of the sixth inning after a double to center field followed by a ground out to short stop that would score the run.
Winning Pitcher: Smothers (2-5) 7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
Losing Pitcher: Harris (1-2) 7.0 IP, 11 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
FOR THE FOES
- Melissa Vierra went 3-for-6 for the Golden Bulls with two runs batted in.
- The Tornado opened up Conference Carolinas actions Sunday in a double header against Converse College at 2:00.
- Johnson C. Smith travels to Anderson University for a double-header Sunday afternoon.