CLEVELAND, Tenn. – The King University softball team finally got to take the field again as they traveled to Lee University for a doubleheader. It appeared as though the Tornado would take game one, but the Flames scored eight runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to take the 9-8 win. Lee then took another come-from-behind victory in the nightcap, 6-4.
FINAL SCORE: Lee 9, King 8; Lee 6, King 4
LOCATION: Butler Field; Cleveland, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-4; Lee 9-4
- Diamond Callwood drove in four runs in the twinbill, collecting two hits and scoring once.
- Amber Walker recorded three hits and drove in a pair in game one.
- Along with Callwood's two runs batted in, Jennifer Kern and Hannah Smith each drove in two in the opening game to go along with a pair of hits.
- Kern hit her second home run of the season in the first contest.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado offense got things rolling in the second inning when Amber Walker ripped a one-out single up the middle that scored Kelsey Nave and Smith, giving King a 2-0 lead.
- King tacked on another run in the second inning on a Smith double that scored Kern.
- In the fifth inning, the Tornado looked to break the game open with four runs on five hits. Callwood had the key hit, a two-run single up the middle. She later scored on a Smith single to give King a 7-0 advantage.
- Lee got on the board in the fifth with a single run, but Kern answered with a home run in the sixth, stretching the Tornado lead to 8-1 going into the seventh inning.
- The Tornado threatened to put the game out of reach as they loaded the bases, but the Flames escaped the jam and carried that momentum over to the bottom half of the seventh.
- Lee registered four straight hits to start the frame, the final one scoring two runs, cutting into the Tornado advantage.
- The Flames then got three straight base runners, including two hits before Rachel Polacek pulled the Flames within two with a sacrifice fly following a pitching change.
- A single pulled Lee within one run with two outs before Lexie Dean registered a two run double, giving the Flames the 9-8 walk-off victory.
Winning Pitcher: Hailey Clark (1-0) 4.2 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Lauren Smith (0-1) 0.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Lee grabbed the lead with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the first inning and added another on a Clark RBI single in the second.
- The Tornado evened the tally on a Callwood triple that scored a pair in the third inning.
- Olivia Lawson double to start the fourth inning, and Sands followed with a single as the Flames made a defensive error allowing Lawson to score and give King a 3-2 lead.
- The Flames regained the lead with four runs in the fifth inning. Clark had a two-run single that put Lee ahead and Polacek later dropped down a squeeze bunt to make it a 6-2 lead.
- Hannah Smith got one back in the sixth for the Tornado when she ripped her first home run of the year, but King couldn't get any closer as the Flames took the contest 6-4.
Winning Pitcher: Briann Eichbaum (4-0) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Save: Leigh Beatenbough (1) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hayley Smothers (0-2) 5.0 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Dean paced the Flame offense, going 3-for-4 in each game and driving in two runs.
- Clark earned the win in the circle in game one before going 2-for-3 at the plate with three runs batting in during the second game.
- Amanda Lynn registered four hits and scored twice from the leadoff spot.
- King will be in action again this weekend at the Lenoir-Rhyne University Tournament. The will face Carson-Newman University and Lenoir-Rhyne on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. On Sunday King will face #10 Georgia College at 9:00 a.m. and Columbus State University at 11:00 a.m.
- Lee takes on #18 The University of Alabama in Huntsville on Saturday and Sunday.