JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. – The King University softball team opened their season on a chilly afternoon at Carson-Newman University. The Tornado turned in a solid effort, the Eagles pulled away late in each contest, taking the doubleheader 5-3 and 5-2.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 5, King 3; Carson-Newman 5, King 2
LOCATION: The Vick; Jefferson City, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-2; Carson-Newman 4-0
- Jennifer Kern went a combined 3-for-6 in the doubleheader and ripped her first career home run in game two.
- Kelsey Nave drove in one run in each game, going 2-for-6 on the day.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Both teams threatened to score in the first inning, but each pitcher was up to the task, stranding two runners to keep the game scoreless.
- The Eagles threatened again with two runners in the second inning, but Lauren Smith left both on base.
- King finally broke through in the fourth inning when Diamond Callwood singled. An Amber Walker walk pushed her to second and Nave then ripped a single to right center, giving King the lead.
- The lead was short-lived however, as Katie Pritchett led off the bottom of the fourth with a home run to even the tally.
- The Eagles grabbed the lead in the fifth inning when they erupted with four unearned runs. Carson-Newman got three run scoring singles and a sacrifice fly to take the lead.
- Carson-Newman tried to tack on some runs in the sixth inning, but Morgan Lowe stranded the bases full of Eagles, keeping the deficit at 5-1.
- Hannah Devotie sparked the Tornado offense in the sixth with a one-out single before Kern followed with a double. Olivia Lawson then pulled King within 5-3 with a two-run single through the left side.
- The Eagles' Allison Webster got the final out to preserve the 5-3 victory for Carson-Newman.
Winning Pitcher: Webster (2-0) 7.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 13 K
Losing Pitcher: Lowe (0-1) 3.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado grabbed the lead in the second inning of game one as Alliyah Sands ripped a single to center field before stealing second. Nave later drove her in with a double to left field.
- Carson-Newman answered with a pair of runs in the bottom half of the inning, getting an RBI triple from Pritchett and Ashlyn Copper followed with a single to give the Eagles a 2-1 lead.
- Kern evened the tally for the Tornado when she led off the fourth inning with a home run to left field.
- The Tornado threatened to take the lead in the sixth inning as Callwood started he frame with a single up the middle and Kern drew a walk. Sands loaded the bases when she ripped a single to left field with one out.
- However, the Eagles wiggle off the hook again, getting a pair of strikeouts to escape the jam and keep the score even.
- Carson-Newman used that momentum in the bottom of the inning, plating three runs, two on a Talisa Fiame double to take a 4-2 lead. She later scored on a passed ball, giving the Eagles a 5-2 lead as they took the contest by that score.
Winning Pitcher: Webster (3-0) 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Losing Pitcher: Smothers (0-1) 5.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
FOR THE FOES
- Fiame led the way for the Eagles in the doubleheader, going 3-for-6 with three runs batted in.
- Webster earned two victories in the circle, tossing nine innings on the day. She also went 2-for-4 at the plate in game one.
- King will be in action again on Wednesday when they travel to take on Lee University. First pitch in the doubleheader is slated for 2:00 p.m.
- Carson-Newman takes on Augusta University and Belmont Abbey College on February 19 at the Catawba Classic.