BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team clinched a share of the Conference Carolinas regular season title with a win over the University of Mount Olive Saturday afternoon at the Student Center Complex. After coming off of a huge win against Barton College last night, the Tornado showed their dominance once again with a 3-0 victory over the Trojans.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 0
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 19-5, 15-1 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 15-12, 11-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used an 8-2 run early in the first set to jump out to a 15-8 lead over Mount Olive. Four different Tornado players recorded a kill during the run.
- The Trojans countered with a run of their own however as they used a 6-1 run to cut the Tornado lead to 16-14.
- Later in the set, King used a 6-2 run to finish off the Trojans in the first set 25-19. Jeff Sprayberry capped off the run with one of his four first set kills.
- The second set was a back and forth affair throughout. King found themselves tied 10-10 with the Trojans early in the set.
- Mount Olive took their largest lead of the set at 16-13, however, despite being down King rallied behind the outside hitting combination of Sprayberry and Kiel Bell to tie the set 17-17.
- The Tornado found themselves down 24-22 with the Trojans serving, but King scored two straight points to tie the set 24-24.
- Trailing 26-25, the Tornado rallied for three straight points behind a kill from Sprayberry, kill by Bell and attacking error by the Trojans to take the set 28-26 and a 2-0 lead in the match.
- Bell led the Tornado in the second set with seven kills while Sprayberry chipped in five kills.
- Just like the previous set, King and Mount Olive were tied 10-10 to start the third set.
- The Tornado proceeded to rip off a 7-1 run to take a 17-11 lead in the set.
- King used a 7-2 run that was capped off by a Sean Luhmann to take a 24-13 lead.
- Adam Krzos finished off the set and match for the Tornado with a kill that gave King a 25-15 set victory and 3-0 match win.
- Bell and Sprayberry each recorded 12 kills to lead the Tornado. Bell hit .571 in the match and posted 11 digs for King while Sprayberry added five digs.
- Nick Drooker dished out 36 assists and chipped in five digs for the Tornado.
- Jon Wheaton hit .700 in the match and recorded seven kills while Adrian Besson added six kills and four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Robert Poole led the Trojans with 15 kills and four digs.
- Brad Monaghan recorded 11 kills and four digs for Mount Olive.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With the win today, King clinched the number one seed for the Conference Carolinas tournament and a share of the regular season Conference Carolinas title.
- King has won their last eight outtings and look to continue their winning streak Tuesday against Lincoln Memorial University.
- Bell recorded his fourth double-double of the season today with a 12 kill, 11 dig performance.
- Leo de Quadros tied a season-high with nine digs in today's contest.
- King hosts Lincoln Memorial University on Tuesday, April 11 at 7:00 pm.
- Mount Olive has concluded their regular season and their next match will be in the Conference Carolinas tournament.