ROMEOVILLE, IL – The King University men's volleyball team traveled to Lewis University Saturday night for a nonconference matchup. The Tornado came into the contest coming off of a tough four set match against #6 Loyola last night, only to face another top-ten oppenent in #7 Lewis. The Tornado hung around in the match, however, the Flyers proved to be too much as they defeated King 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: Lewis 3, King 0
LOCATION: Neil Carey Arena; Romeoville, IL
RECORDS: King 11-5, Lewis 13-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King trailed early in the match falling behind 7-2. However, a kill by Jeff Sprayberry cut the Tornado deficit to 11-7 in the first set.
- The Flyers put together an impressive 8-1 run toward the end of the set to take a commanding 23-13 lead over the Tornado.
- A Sprayberry kill ended the Lewis run, however, the Flyer would score two points in a row following the Tornado kill to take the first set 25-14 over King.
- In the second set, the Tornado found themselves trailing by only one point following a Dalton Johnson kill to make the score 10-9 Flyers early on.
- However, Lewis used a 6-1 run midway through the set to take a 16-10 lead over King.
- The Tornado used a little 4-1 spirt of their own to cut their deficit to 17-14. The run was capped off by a Jon Wheaton block.
- The Flyers fired back with a 5-1 run to extend their lead to 22-15 late in the set.
- Adam Krzos recorded a kill to cut the Tornado deficit to 24-18, however, the Flyers took the next point to defeat King 25-18 in the third set and take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- Kiel Bell gave the Tornado an early third set lead with a kill to give King a 4-3 advantage.
- Lewis took the lead from the Tornado, however, an Adrian Besson kill from Nick Drooker cut the King deficit to 14-13.
- The Flyers proceeded to go on a 6-2 run following Besson's kill. Lewis led King 21-16 at this point in the set.
- King powered back though, using a 5-1 run that was capped off by a Sprayberry kill to bring the contest to 22-21 Flyers.
- Unfortunately, Lewis ended the set by scoring three of the last four points and taking the third set over the Tornado 25-22. The Flyers also took the match 3-0 over King.
- Bell led King with 13 kills and seven digs while Sprayberry posted nine kills and five digs.
- Drooker posted 26 assists and six digs for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Ryan Coenen led the way for the Flyers with 15 kills.
- Mitch Perinar posted 13 kills and five digs for Lewis.
- Matt Yoshimoto recorded 41 assists and five digs in tonight's match.
- King will be back in action March 17 when they host Belmont Abbey at 3:00 pm in a Conference Carolinas matchup.
- Lewis travels to Hawaii University March 8.