BANNER ELK, N.C. – The King University traveled to Banner Elk, North Carolina Wednesday night for a Conference Carolinas matchup against Lees-McRae College. The Tornado defense was dominant as they held the Bobcats to a -.057 hitting percentage on the night. King's offense wasn't too shabby either as they hit .345 on night. The Tornado swept the Bobcats 3-0 to improve to 11-3 overall and 8-1 in Conference Carolinas play.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lees-McRae 0 (25-13, 25-18, 25-14)
LOCATION: Williams Gymnasium; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 11-3, 8-1 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 2-12, 0-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used a 4-0 run to jump out to a quick 6-3 lead over Lees-McRae early in the first set. Jeff Sprayberry capped off the run with a service ace for the Tornado.
- A 9-3 Tornado run midway through the set was finished off with a kill by Adrian Besson to give King an 18-10 lead.
- The Tornado used a 6-1 run to finish off the Bobcats in the first set 25-13.
- In the second frame, King used an 8-2 run to take a 14-9 lead early on. A Kiel Bell kill from Nick Drooker capped off the Tornado run.
- King held onto their lead and closed out Lees-McRae in the second set 25-18 to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- After going down 4-2 early in the third set, the Tornado used a 6-1 run to take a 9-6 lead over the Bobcats. The run was finished off with a Sprayberry kill.
- The Tornado proceeded to use another run soon after to extend their lead to 15-9. The 6-2 run made by King consisted of five Lees-McRae errors.
- Another 6-2 run made by the Tornado gave them a 22-13 advantage. This run was capped off with a kill by Sean Kohlhase.
- The match concluded with a JT Deppe kill from Chandler Christy to give the Tornado a 25-14 third set victory and ultimately the match 3-0.
- Sprayberry led the Tornado with 11 kills and a hitting percentage of .556.
- Dalton Johnson recorded four kills and seven blocks for the Tornado.
- Kohlhase posted six kills while Bell chipped in five kills and five digs.
- Drooker finished the night with 24 assists and three blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Wes Rogman led the Bobcats with nine kills, hitting .200 on the night.
- Spencer Graf and Ethan Gardner each recorded four kills for Lees-McRae.
- King travels to Chicago, Illinois this coming weekend. Friday March 2 the Tornado face Loyola University of Chicago and Saturday March 3 King will take on Lewis University. Both games are scheduled to begin at 8:00 pm.
- Lees-McRae hosts Emmanuel College Friday March 2.