WILSON, N.C. – The King University men's volleyball team played for a spot in the Conference Carolinas Tournament match when they squared off with third seed University of Mount Olive on Friday. The seconded seed Tornado fell behind early and couldn't recover as the Trojans took the match 3-1, ending King's historic season.
FINAL SCORE: No. 3 Mount Olive 3, No. 2 King 1 (25-19, 25-17, 18-25, 25-22)
LOCATION: Wilson Gymnasium; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 28-4; Mount Olive 18-9
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive scored three straight points early, breaking a 3-3 to gain the advantage.
- The Trojans gradually extended their lead and used another 3-0 run to take a 15-8 lead and force a King timeout.
- King scored three consecutive points, cutting their lead to 16-12, but couldn't get any closer as Mount Olive took the set 25-19.
- The Trojans again used a pair of 3-0 runs in the second set, opening up a 15-9 lead and forcing another King timeout.
- King was able to get back within five points, but the Trojans took a commanding 2-0 lead in the match with the 25-17 victory.
- The third set was tight in the early going before the Tornado used a 5-0 to take control of the set. Nick Drooker served up a pair of aces on the run.
- Jeff Sprayberry came up with a consecutive kills before Jon Wheaton ended the 25-18 third set victory with a kill for the Tornado.
- In the fourth set, King scored seven of 10 points to take a 10-9 lead.
- The Tornado later held an 18-14 lead before the Trojans started to work their way back.
- Mount Olive scored four straight points before a King timeout followed by an Adrian Besson kill.
- However, the Trojans then scored three straight points to have a chance at match point.
- King held off one match point, the Trojans converted on the next to take the set 25-22 and the match 3-1.
- Sprayberry led King with 19 kills to go along with nine digs.
- Kiel Bell followed with eight kills and hit .571 in the match.
- Drooker posted a double-double, accounting for 40 assists and a team-high 10 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Robert Poole led four Trojans in double figures with 18 kills and added nine digs.
- Bret Rutledge added 13 kills and Brad Monaghan accounted for 12 kills.
- Andrew Sydow chipped in with 10 kills.
- Jeff Yasalonis posted a double-double with 49 assists and 10 digs.
- Josh Donahue came up with 22 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King ends their historic season with program records of 28 wins and 16 Conference Carolinas wins. The Tornado also posted a program-long 15-match winning streak.
- The Tornado hosted and won their first-ever Conference Carolinas Tournament match on Tuesday.
- Senior Eddie Moushikhian posted seven kills and seven digs in his final match.
- Fellow seniors Matthew DeLong, Chris Gerber, Nathan Veli and Chandler Wellmann had their careers come to an end on Friday as well.