BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team continued to set new program standards, starting with hosting their first Conference Carolinas Tournament match on Tuesday night. The second seeded Tornado swept seventh seed North Greenville University 3-0 for their first-ever conference tournament victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, North Greenville 0 (25-11, 25-11, 25-18)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 28-3; North Greenville 8-19
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado set the tone for the match early, scoring nine of the first 10 points, including six straight.
- Kiel Bell and Jeff Sprayberry each had a pair of kills on the run and Eddie Moushikhian capped the burst with one of his two kills in the set.
- King closed the set no a 5-1 run, including three straight kills from Bell, Jon Wheaton and Sprayberry to take the set 25-11.
- The Tornado roll continued into the second set as King opened up a 6-1 lead, forcing a North Greenville timeout.
- Bell and Wheaton later stretched the King lead to 12-2, capping a 5-0 run with a block.
- King held their lead there and scored the final three points of the set, started by kills from Bell and Wheaton, taking the frame 25-10.
- The third set was tight as the Crusaders gained the early advantage, but King broke a 7-7 tie with a 9-2 run to gain control of the set.
- Back-to-back kills from Chris Gerber and Moushikhian later gave King the set 25-18 and the match 3-0.
- Sprayberry led the Tornado with nine kills, three digs and two blocks.
- Moushikhian followed with eight kills, hitting .400 and added seven digs.
- Bell posted seven kills, seven digs and three blocks.
- Wheaton hit .750, recording six kills on eight attempts.
- Adrian Besson posted a team-high five blocks and added five kills.
- Nick Drooker handed out 29 assists to go along with five digs and two blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Matthew McManaway led North Greenville with eight kills while Grayson Lawrence added six kills.
- Alexander Schinzing led the Crusaders with eight digs and 15 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win marks King's first-ever Conference Carolinas Tournament victory in their first-ever Conference Carolinas Tournament home match.
- King advances to the semifinals on Friday that will be hosted by top seed Barton College in Wilson, N.C.
- King takes on third seed University of Mount Olive on Friday at Barton.
- The Tornado split two contests with Mount Olive, both going five sets and each winning on their opponent's home floor.