BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team ran their winning streak to 14 matches on Sunday with a Conference Carolinas victory over Erskine College. The Tornado set the tone in the first set and took the match 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Erskine 0 (25-15, 25-10, 25-15)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 24-2, 13-1 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 3-17, 3-12 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was even at 12 before King scored three points, capped by a block from Sean Luhmann and Jon Wheaton.
- King gained separation with a 7-0 run, taking a 23-14 advantage. The Tornado posted three blocks on the spurt and Erskine used both of their timeouts.
- Jon Wheaton a chance at set point with his second kill of the match as King took the set 25-15.
- The Tornado offense picked up the pace in the second set, scoring the first six points. On the run, Nick Drooker posted a service ace.
- King later scored six straight points, taking a 14-2 advantage. Adam Krzos posted two kills on the run and Dalton Johnson served up an ace.
- Luhmann gave King the 25-10 victory with one of his three kills in the match.
- Chris Gerber started the third set with a kill, and capped the 5-0 run with another kill to put the Tornado ahead.
- The Tornado then scored five-of-six points to open up a 10-2 advantage.
- King held their lead there and Gerber ended the set the way he started it, with a kill, giving King the 25-15 and 3-0 victory.
- Eddie Moushikhian led King with seven kills and nine digs.
- Luhamann followed with six kills and five digs while Gerber chipped in with five kills.
- Drooker handed out 25 assists and had three service aces.
FOR THE FOES
- Isaac Lanier led Erskine with eight kills and Griffin Spence followed with six.
- Andres Talavera handed out 12 assists while Lanier and Bryan Cardozo led the defense with six digs each.
- King takes to the road next weekend, taking on the University of Mount Olive and Barton College, both of which are tied for second behind King in the Conference Carolinas standings.
- King faces Mount Olive at 7:00 p.m. on Friday and Barton at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Erskine hosts Coker College on Tuesday night.