BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team pulled within one win of make some history on Wednesday night when they topped Lees-McRae College 3-0. King now has 14 wins on the season and nine in Conference Carolinas play, coming within one of each school record.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lees-McRae 0 (25-19, 25-22, 25-21)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 14-2, 9-1 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 5-10, 3-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King jumped out to a 6-2 lead following a 3-0 run where Sean Luhmann came up with a kill and Luhmann and Jon Wheaton teamed up for a block.
- The Tornado gained some separation late in the set, scoring three straight points to open up a 21-15 lead. Chris Gerber started the spurt with a solo block and Eddie Moushikhian capped it with a service ace.
- Moushikhian later gave King the set 258-19 with his fourth kill of the set.
- In the second set, King used a 5-0 run to break a tied at 4-4 and force a Lees-McRae timeout. Moushikhian had a kill on the run and Wheaton teamed up with Nick Drooker for a block to cap the spurt.
- The Bobcats came back later in the set to pull within 22-21, but Sprayberry came up with a pair of kills before Wheaton gave King the 25-22 victory with a kill.
- Leading 8-7 in the third set, King scored seven-of-eight points, including five straight to open up a 15-8 lead.
- Wheaton started the run with a kill and Gerber followed with another solo block. Moushikhian posted a pair of kills and Drooker served up an ace on the run.
- Lees-McRae later went on a 6-1 run, evening the score at 21-21 before Moushikhian gave the lead back to King with a kill.
- Sprayberry and Gerber teamed up for a block and Moushikhian gave King a chance at set point as King took the set 25-21.
- Sprayberry led King with 15 kills and hit .367 to go along with four digs.
- Moushikhian followed with 13 kills on 22 attempts with one error for an attack percentage of .545.
- Drooker handed out 33 assists to go along with seven digs.
- Luhmann chipped in with 6 kills and seven digs while Jimmy Nuckolls led the defense with 10 digs.
- Gerber posted two solo blocks and two block assists.
FOR THE FOES
- John Sobel led Lees-McRae with 10 kills and four digs.
- Mark Shayka followed with eight kills and Keenan Freitas led the defense with 18 digs.
- Reto Pfund handed out 29 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King is within one win of their program records for wins in a season and Conference Carolinas wins. The Tornado 15 overall matches and 10 Conference Carolinas matches in 2015.
- King travels to take on Alderson Broaddus University on Saturday night at 7:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae takes on eighth ranked Stanford University on Friday in State College, Pa. before taking on 13th-ranked UC Santa Barbara on Saturday.