BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team stayed perfect in Conference Carolinas play with a sweep of Belmont Abbey College on Saturday. Eddie Moushikhian led the offense with 15 kills, moving King to 7-1 on the season.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Belmont Abbey 0 (25-23, 25-22, 25-19)
LOCATION: Wheeler Center; Belmont, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-1, 3-0 Conference Carolinas; Belmont Abbey 2-5, 1-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was tight and Belmont Abbey opened up a 13-7 lead before Adrian Besson got the King offense going with a kill. Moushikhian added a kill and a Nick Drooker ace pulled King within 13-11.
- The Tornado later evened the tally at 15 and a solo block from Jon Wheaton gave King a 17-16 lead, giving King a 10-3 run.
- However, the Crusaders scored three straight points before King responded with four straight to take a 21-19 advantage.
- Belmont Abbey then gained a 23-22 lead following a 4-1 burst, but Moushikhian came up with a kill and Drooker followed with an ace, giving King the set 25-23.
- The Tornado gained the advantage early in the second set and took a 16-9 lead followed kills from Jeff Sprayberry and Sean Luhmann along with a Crusader attack error.
- Belmont Abbey came back to get within 20-18, but King rolled off three straight points, the first two on a block from Moushikhian and Besson along with a Sprayberry kill.
- Besson gave King a chance a set point with a kill and following a pair of Crusader points, Jimmy Nuckolls gave King the set 25-22 with his lone kill of the match.
- The Crusaders jumped out an early lead in the third set, but Luhmann registered back-to-back kills and team up with Wheaton for a block, giving King a 6-5 lead.
- King later used three straight points, capped by a Drooker ace to take a 14-10 advantage.
- The Tornado advantage stayed there until King scored the final three points of the match, two on kills from Besson and Sprayberry, giving King the set 25-19 and the match 3-0.
- Moushikhian led King with 15 kills and hit .400 in the match, making three errors on 30 attempts.
- Sprayberry followed with 13 kills and eight digs while Besson added seven kills.
- Drooker posted a double-double with 45 assists and 12 digs to go along with three aces.
- Luhmann chipped in with 10 digs and six kills.
FOR THE FOES
- Liam Maxwell led Belmont Abbey with 11 kills and Brennan Beyner followed with eight kills and seven digs.
- Bryce Sullivan handed out 22 assists and added six digs.
- King takes to the road to face Emmanuel College on Friday. First serve from Franklin Springs, Ga. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Belmont Abbey hosts Pfeiffer University on Tuesday.