BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team took to the road for the first time this season, taking on the 11th-ranked team in the country in George Mason University. The Tornado stayed with the Patriots, but George Mason ultimately took the 3-0 victory, handing King their first defeat of the season.
FINAL SCORE: No. 11 George Mason 3, King 0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-16)
LOCATION: Recreation & Athletic Complex; Fairfax, Va.
RECORDS: 2-1; George Mason 4-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Patriots used a 5-0 run to turn a 4-4 tie in the first set into a 9-4 advantage.
- George Mason extended their lead to 23-13 before the Tornado tried to work their way back. Nick Drooker posted a pair of aces on a 4-0 King run, but the Patriots bounced back to take the set 25-19.
- King had the upper hand early in the second set, using a 5-0 run to take an 11-5 advantage. Moushikhian had a pair of kills on the spurt while Adrian Besson and Drooker teamed up for a block.
- The Patriots later pulled within 16-15 with three straight points before evening the tally at 19-all and taking a 22-19 lead with a 5-0 run.
- King held off two set points to get within 24-23, but the Patriots scored the final point, taking the set 25-23.
- George Mason used a 6-1 run, including four straight to gain at 9-4 lead in the third set, breaking a 3-3 tie.
- The Patriots didn't let up throughout the set, gaining their largest advantage of the set at nine points numerous times to take the set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
- Jeff Sprayberry led King with six kills to go along with four digs.
- Moshikhian and Jon Wheaton chipped in with four kills each.
- Besson posted four blocks, one solo and Drooker handed out 19 assists.
- Jimmy Nuckolls led the defense with seven digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Jack Wilson led George Mason with 14 kills while Radoslav Popov followed with nine kills.
- Brian Negron handed out 32 assists and Seth Blevins led the way with seven digs.
- King will be in action again on Saturday when they take on Eastern Mennonite University and Lancaster Bible College at Eastern Mennonite. The Tornado take on Eastern Mennonite at 3:00 p.m. and Lancaster Bible at 5:00 p.m.
- George Mason hosts ninth-ranked Loyola University of Chicago on Saturday.