BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team opened the 2017 campaign with a resounding victory over Lincoln Memorial University. The Tornado seem to improve throughout the match, topping the Railsplitters 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lincoln Memorial 0
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-0; Lincoln Memorial 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado offense didn't wait long to get going, scoring the first three points of the match. Jeff Sprayberry started it with a kill, Nick Drooker followed with an ace and Sean Luhmann added a kill.
- King then gained separation with an 8-1 run, including five straight points to open the spurt that gave King an 11-3 advantage.
- The Railsplitters tried to comeback late in the set, but Sprayberry gave King the 25-20 victory with his fifth kill of the set.
- King again opened the second set with three straight points and gradually extended their lead to 16-10.
- Lincoln Memorial used a 4-0 run to pull within 20-19 and again trailed 21-20 when King went on a run.
- The Tornado scored three straight points, and Luhmann later gave King the 25-21 win with a kill.
- The King offense hit its stride in the third set, hitting a blistering .520 with 15 kills against two errors on 25 attempts.
- King used a 5-0 run in the middle of the set to turn an 11-7 lead into a 16-7 advantage.
- Later in the set, King again scored five straight points to earn a chance at match point at 24-10.
- Following a pair of Railsplitter points, Kiel Bell gave King the 25-12 victory with his lone kill of the match.
- Sprayberry led King with 11 kills, hitting .320 in the match.
- Luhmann followed with nine kills, three digs and three block assists.
- Drooker and Eddie Moushikhian paced the defense with seven kills each, and Drooker handed out 27 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Evan Cory led the Railsplitters with eight kills while Pedro Carvalho and Ryan Iskandar followed with six kills each.
- Iksandar also handed out 23 assists and Jorge Collazo registered a match-high nine digs.
- Marcus Molina posted two block assists and two solo blocks.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For the second time since 2011, the Tornado start 1-0. King last won their first match of the season in 2015 when the defeated the University of Charleston (W.Va.)
- King is in action again on Friday night in the Student Center Complex when they host the University of Charleston (W.Va.) at 7:00 p.m.
- Lincoln Memorial travels to Lees-McRae College on Friday night.