BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team returned to action with a tough match against McKendree University. The Bearcats took the first two sets before the Tornado bounced back to force a fourth set. However, McKendree took the fourth set, taking the 3-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: McKendree 3, King 1 (25-16, 25-21, 23-25, 25-21)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 5-18; McKendree 8-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bearcats gained separation with a 5-0 run, turning an 8-7 first set lead into a 13-7 advantage.
- McKendree held their advantage there en route to the 25-16 victory.
- Matthew Lychock put King ahead with a kill to start the second set.
- Later in the set, Jeff Sprayberry broke a 5-5 tie and started a 5-0 Tornado run with a kill. Jon Wheaton registered a kill on the run as well.
- McKendree worked their way back and eventually evened the set at 17-17 before the teams started to trade points.
- The Bearcats scored four straight points, turning a 20-19 deficit into a 23-20 lead.
- Following a Tornado point, McKendree scored the final two points, taking the set 25-21.
- The Tornado jumped out early in the third set, taking an 8-3 lead following a Wheaton kill and Sean Luhmann service ace.
- The Bearcats went on a run and evened the score at 17-17 before the King offense got going again.
- Wheaton started a 3-0 King run that put the Tornado ahead 20-17 with another kill.
- The score was even at 20-20 following a 3-0 McKendree run before King stretched their lead back to two.
- A block from Wheaton and Luhmann gave King a chance at set point, leading 24-21.
- McKendree scored a pair of points, but Wheaton gave King the 25-23 set win with his fourth kill of the set.
- The fourth set was close at the beginning until the Bearcats scored three straight points to open up a 10-7 lead.
- McKendree stretched their lead to five twice, and led 21-16 before King started to work their way back.
- The Tornado scored back-to-back points to pull within 21-18, but that was all the closer King could get, falling 25-21.
- Sprayberry and Wheaton led King with 10 kills apiece. Sprayberry added a team-high nine kills for the Tornado.
- Nick Drooker handed out 34 assists and registered seven digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Jared Wilcox posted 18 kills and nine digs to lead McKendree.
- Nolan Rueter followed with 13 kills and six digs while Andrew Schnittker registered a double-double with 11 kills and 10 digs.
- Brendan Schmidt chipped in with 12 kills and Zach Thompson led McKendree with 14 digs.
- King takes on George Mason on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- McKendree returns to action again on Friday when they take on Barton College in the Student Center Complex at 1:00 p.m.