SUMTER, S.C. – The King University men's tennis team opened the season with an individual tournament at the Palmetto Tennis Center Invitational and were led by a pair of consolation championships. Moritz Poswiat and Lennard Neumann won the doubles A Draw consolation title and Kyle Logue won the singles D Draw consolation title.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following a loss in the first match, Poswiat and Neumann rolled off three straight wins in the consolation bracket, starting with an 8-0 win over a duo from Pfeiffer University.
- They then topped Ritwik Bhriguvonghi and Andre Andre of Erskine College 8-2 before defeating Southern Wesleyan University's Keegan Barkley and Stan Grzeslo 8-6 in the final.
- Also in doubles play, Logue and Lenny Keswani reached the semifinals of the B Draw by defeating Sebastian Zuhr and Cole Douglas-Fields of Lees-McRae College 8-1. The then topped a Southern Wesleyan duo 8-4 before falling to the eventual runner-up team of Ermanno Galimberti and McKennon Griffin of Barton College 8-4 in the semifinals.
- In singles play, Logue won three straight matches after falling in his first match of the D Draw. He started the consolation bracket with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Mason White of Emmanuel College and followed it with a 6-4, 7-6 victory over Michal Rapsik of Belmont Abbey College.
- In the finals, Logue topped Luka Stanec of Limestone College 6-4, 7-6 to take the consolation title.
- In the C Draw, Leonardo Alfaro won his first two matches to reach the semifinals. He defeated Dustin Dodson of Emmanuel 6-2, 6-0 and came back to defeat Urs Widow of Southern Wesleyan 5-7, 6-1, 10-7.
- However, Alfaro fell in the semifinals to eventual runner-up Mark Carnes of Limestone 6-4, 2-6, 10-8.
- In the A Draw, Keswani reached the consolation final following a 6-2, 1-6, 10-8 victory over Sandoval in the semifinals. However, he fell to Grant Goldin of Belmont Abbey 6-3, 4-6, 10-6 in the consolation championship match.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they host Tusculum College in their first dual of the season. First serve is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. The Tornado then host Emory & Henry College on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.