GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University men's soccer team took to the field at eighth-ranked Limestone College in the opening round of the Conference Carolinas Men's Soccer Championship on Monday night. The second seeded Saints tallied an early goal and added another in the second half to take the contest from the seventh seeded Tornado 2-0.
FINAL SCORE: #8/No. 2 Limestone 2, No. 7 King 0
LOCATION: Saints Field; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 6-12; Limestone 14-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints didn't waste any time getting on the scoreboard as Jorge Salvat played a ball ahead to Louis Robles at the near post. Robles then played the ball across the net to Gui Muchado who finished in the seventh minute to put Limestone on top.
- Faber Bickerstaffe came back with a King's first scoring opportunity in the eighth minute, but his shot was turned away by the Limestone goalkeeper.
- Limestone had another flurry in the middle of the frame as Salvat hit the crossbar in the 19th minute and Kari Sveinsson came up with a save in the 25th minute to keep the score 1-0.
- The Saints had another chance on a free kick in the waning second of the half, but Sveinsson came up with another save.
- King had a pair of chances in the 59th minute, the first on a shot from Luis Calderon that was blocked, but resulted in a corner kick. However, the Tornado couldn't convert on the corner kick.
- Limestone then added another goal in the 60th minute when Joe Pegg fed a pass to Robles from the top of the box and Robles placed his shot in the lower left corner.
- Calderon had chances in the 71st and 80th minutes, but his shots were turned away by Greg Purvis.
- King didn't give up as Juan Nabor and Ryan Murphy ripped shots in the 86th and 87th minutes. However, both shots were turned away as Limestone took the contest 2-0.
- Sveinsson made six saves for the Tornado.
- King placed five of their nine shots on goal.
FOR THE FOES
- Limestone took 16 shots, and placed eight on goal.
- Purvis made five saves in goal for the Saints.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE