BRISTOL, Tenn. – Playing for seeding in the Conference Carolinas Men's Soccer Championship, the King University men's soccer team squared off with Barton College in the regular season finale at Parks Field. The first half was played even and the Bulldogs broke through in the 59th minute and added another goal late to take the contest 2-0.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 2, King 0
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-11, 4-6 Conference Carolinas; Barton 5-11-1, 3-6-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King had the first three scoring chances in the first 25 minutes, but all three attempts didn't make it on frame.
- Barton countered with a pair of chances, but one was blocked by the defense and the other was wide of the goal.
- King had a few chances over the final 10 minutes, the final on a header by Nick Boegemann, but that went high and the game remained scoreless at the break.
- The Bulldogs had the first chance of the second half, but Cameron Sauro came up with a save for the Tornado in the 50th minute to keep the game scoreless.
- Barton had another chance in the 56th minute, but the Tornado defense came up with a save.
- Austin Tausch broke through in the 59th minute for the Bulldogs when he took a pass from Tolly Beatson and slid his shot through the keeper's legs to put Barton ahead.
- King had a pair of chances in the 63rd minute, but on shot sailed high and the other was turned away by the Bulldog defense.
- Ryan Murphy had a chance to even the tally in the 79th minute, but his shot hit the post and bounced out.
- The Tornado had a pair of chances on corner kicks in the 85th and 86th minutes, but King couldn't convert.
- Barton added another goal in the 89th minute when Tausch fed Beatson on a fast break and Beatson beat the keeper to give Barton the 2-0 victory.
- King took 16 shots in the contest, placing three on goal.
- The Tornado also had seven corner kicks.
FOR THE FOES
- The goals for both Tausch and Beatson were their fourth tallies of the year.
- Barton took nine shots in the contest, placing four on frame.
- The Bulldogs had one corner kick in the match.
- King will be in action in the Conference Carolinas Men's Soccer Championship on Monday as they earned the seventh seed. The Tornado will travel to eighth-ranked and second seed Limestone College. The kickoff from Gaffney, S.C. is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- Barton is the eighth seed and will take on top seed Pfeiffer University on Monday.