BRISTOL, Tenn. – On a cool damp afternoon, the King University men's soccer team squared off with the University of Mount Olive in a contest that changed location due to Hurricane Matthew. Luis Calderon broke a 2-2 tie in the 75th minute, giving King a 3-2 lead. However the Trojans came back and scored three goals in the final two minutes top the Tornado 5-3.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 5, King 3
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 5-6, 3-1 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 1-8-1, 1-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado controlled play early, and finally broke through following a flurry in the 18th minute.
- On the fourth Tornado shot in less than two minutes, Ryan Murphy found the back of the net. Eli Carrasco had the first shot that was saved, and Freek Schoones followed with another shot that was turned away. However, the rebound came right to Murphy who finished to put King ahead.
- Nevertheless, Mount Olive answered less than a minute later as Jonathan Alexanderss found the back of the net in the 19th minute, placing his shot into the lower right part of the net.
- In the 31st minute, King struck again as Faber Bickerstaffe had his shot blocked, but it rolled to Carlos Saavedra who found Calderon at the top of the box and he ripped his shot into the middle of the net.
- The score remained the same at halftime, and the Tornado came out and tried to extend the lead early in the second stanza. However, the Trojan defense was up to the task.
- King played a man down for the final 25 minutes following a red card, and the Trojans evened the tally in the 75th minute.
- Lewis Xiberras ripped a shot from just outside the box over the keeper to even the score at 2-2.
- However, 28 seconds later Calderon struck to give the lead back to the Tornado. He took a pass from Eli Carrasco and ripped his shot into the upper right 90 to put King back on the top.
- Carrasco then ripped a pair of shots in the next five minutes, but both were turned away by the Trojan goalkeeper.
- Mount Olive evened the score again in the 89th minute on a penalty kick from Kenneth Gilliam.
- In the 90th minute, Xiberras hit the post with a shot and it bounced to Alexanderss who finished his shot inside the near post to give the Trojans their first lead of the game with 25 seconds remaining.
- Trevor Knight added an insurance goal for Mount Olive with six second left, giving the Trojans the 5-3 victory.
- King laced 23 shots, putting 11 on frame.
- The Tornado also had four corner kicks.
FOR THE FOES
- Mount Olive took 12 shots, placing nine on frame.
- The Trojans also had three corner kicks.
- Bernardo Mejia posted nine eight saves in the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The multi-goal game for Calderon was the first of his career.
- King is in action again on Wednesday when they travel to take on ninth-ranked Limestone College. Kickoff from Gaffney, S.C. is slated for 7:30 p.m.
- Mount Olive travels to take on Coker College on Wednesday.