Tornado fall in overtime at Lander

Photo: Qyntia Parks-Lewis
Photo: Qyntia Parks-Lewis

GREENWOOD, S.C. – Following nearly a week off, the King University men's soccer team stayed on the road to face Lander University in a contest that needed overtime. Juan Nabor tallied the equalizer late in the second half, but the Bearcats scored in the 95th minute to take the contest 2-1 in overtime.

FINAL SCORE: Lander 2, King 1 (final/overtime)
LOCATION: Van Taylor Stadium; Greenwood, S.C.
RECORDS: King 3-4, Lander 4-3


  • Lander controlled play in the first half, lacing six shots, two on goal, but both were turned away by Tornado goalkeeper Kari Sveinsson.
  • Ryan Murphy tallied the lone shot of the half for the Tornado, coming in the third minute as it sailed just high of the crossbar.
  • The Bearcat pressure finally paid off in the 53rd minute when Sveinsson turned away the first shot, but Lander regrouped and Sam Lofts found the back of the net.
  • Lofts took a pass from Michael Leach and ripped a shot into the right side of the goal, putting Lander ahead.
  • King then tried to turn the field, lacing three shots between the 55th and 60th minutes, one of which was on goal, but turned away by the Bearcat keeper.
  • In the 69th minute, Chris Hicks ripped a shot that was blocked by the defense, but the Tornado were awarded a corner kick.
  • Off the corner kick that was taken by Faber Bickerstaffe, Nabor found the ball in the front of the goal and finished it into the back of the net, evening the tally at 1-1.
  • The Tornado had a chance to take the lead when Eli Carrasco ripped a shot in the 82nd minute, but it was turned away.
  • Lander's best chance of the final 20 minutes came in the 88th minute, but Sveinsson turned away the shot from Leach, sending the game to overtime.
  • Five minutes into the overtime session, Conor Felstead scored, placing his shot to the left side of the goal, giving Lander the victory.
  • The Tornado ripped 11 shots in the contest, 10 coming in the second half.
  • Sveinsson accounted for seven saves in the contest.


  • Lander took 20 shots in the game, with 13 coming in the second half.
  • Dean Cowdroy made two saves to earn the win in goal.
  • The goal for Lofts was his first of the year, and Felstead's second tally on the season.


  • The goal for Nabor marked the first of his career.
  • This marks the second straight season King and Lander have played an overtime contest. The Bearcats took a 2-1 victory in Bristol a season ago.


  • King will be in action again on Wednesday when they host Belmont Abbey College in a Conference Carolinas affair. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. at Parks Field.
  • Lander returns to action on Wednesday when they travel to take on Francis Marion University.
King fall against #13 Saints
October 12, 2016 King fall against #13 Saints