FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – It wasn't easy, but the King University men's soccer team earned their first Conference Carolinas victory of the season on Sunday afternoon in come-from-behind fashion at Emmanuel College. The Lions took a 2-0 early in the second half, but the Tornado scored three goals in the final 30 minutes, the game-winner coming off the foot of Freek Schoones in the 88th minute, giving King the 3-2 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 2
LOCATION: Emmanuel Soccer Field; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 2-2, 1-0 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 0-3, 0-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King controlled play for the majority of the first half, ripping four shots, the first three on frame, and earning one corner kick in the first 20 minutes. However, the Lion defense held off each attack.
- The Tornado continued to put pressure on the Lion defense, but couldn't break through, but Emmanuel did late in the first stanza.
- In the 41st minute, Nick Miller took a pass from Danny Cameron and beat the keeper to give the Lions a 1-0 lead at halftime.
- It didn't take Emmanuel long into the second half to extend their lead to 2-0 when Cameron scored in the 47th minute on an assist to Deibyd Contreras.
- King then went back on the attack and finally broke though in the 63rd minute when Ryan Murphy found the back of the net on a penalty kick, cutting the Tornado deficit in half.
- In the 76th minute, Chris Hicks tallied the equalizer, unassisted.
- Hicks then nearly put King ahead in the 80th minute, but his shot hit the crossbar.
- The Tornado didn't let up earning three corner kicks in a three minute span starting in the 85th minute. The next two came in the 87th and 88th minute, and the Tornado capitalized on the second one.
- The ball found the foot of Freek Schoones in the 88th minute, and he laced his shot into the back of the net, giving King the 3-2 lead and eventually the victory.
- King ripped 20 shots in the contest, putting 15 on target. The Tornado also earned 12 corner kicks in the contest.
- Cameron Sauro came up with three saves, helping the Tornado to their second straight victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Emmanuel registered nine shots in the contest, five being on target.
- The Tornado defense held the Lions to only one corner kick in the contest.
- Andy Dunnett registered two saves for the Lions.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King wins their Conference Carolinas opener for the fourth straight year. The Tornado have defeated Emmanuel in the last three, and topped Pfeiffer University in 2013.
- The 20 shots for King marks the first time since last October the Tornado have registered 20 shots in a contest. King took 20 shots against Barton College a season ago.
- The Tornado put 15 shots on target, their second most in the NCAA era (since 2011). King placed 17 shots on goal in 2011 against North Greenville University.
- King returns to action on Saturday when they travel to take on the University of Alabama in Huntsville. Kickoff is slated for 8:00 p.m. (ET)
- Emmanuel next travels to face the University of North Georgia on Wednesday.